Helpful? 0

Rain Screen: Horizontal furring strips with corrugated metal siding installed vertically

I am installing corrugated metal siding vertically over 1" Roxul Comfort Board exterior insulation, thereby necessitating a horizontal furring strip that can bear the weight of the siding. We originally furred the windows out by 2 3/4" with the idea that we would use 1 x something vertical furring strips to allow drainage, then 1 x something horizontal furring strips for the metal. I believe it is a good system, but am now preferring to double my planned exterior insulation to 2 inches and reduce the amt of furring if possible while working within the parameters of the 2 3/4" window pop-outs.

Specifically, I am wondering if the vertical channels in the corrugated metal might be sufficient for drainage if I add the extra 1" roxul in lieu of the vertical furring? I would also consider bevelling the horizontal furring strips toward the exterior to move any bulk water toward the backside of the metal channels. Does this sound like a system that would would work? Any input greatly appreciated.

Other information: 1/2 plywood sheathing, typar warp, planning a bug screen at base of rainscreen, climate is quite wet - interior BC

Asked by Amy Hazeldine
Posted Wed, 05/28/2014 - 18:04
Edited Wed, 05/28/2014 - 18:13

Tags:

4 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

Amy, The vertical channels in the metal provide a good enough drainage plain that the rain screen provisions in the BC code allow for it to be used without strapping. The Comfortboard behind will also act as secondary drainage so I wouldn't bother with bevelling the furring strips. I think you are proposing a very well performing wall. If you wanted to improve it further you might consider venting it at the top too.

Answered by Malcolm Taylor
Posted Wed, 05/28/2014 - 22:00

Helpful? 0

Check Cor-A-Vent, it may work for you: http://www.cor-a-vent.com/siding-vent-sv-3.cfm

Answered by Armando Cobo
Posted Thu, 05/29/2014 - 08:40

Helpful? 0

Amy,
Q. "I am wondering if the vertical channels in the corrugated metal might be sufficient for drainage."

A. You don't need a drainage gap between mineral wool and siding, because the mineral wool itself is free-draining.

Q. "I would also consider bevelling the horizontal furring strips toward the exterior to move any bulk water toward the backside of the metal channels."

A. That's unnecessary. The free-draining nature of the mineral wool, along with evaporation and the normal air exchange caused by the pumping action resulting from daily temperature changes, will easily handle any incidental moisture.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Thu, 05/29/2014 - 08:53

Helpful? 0

Thanks everyone for your quick responses. I'm very glad to get confirmation that this system will work effectively. I'll definitely look into venting the system at the top as well.

Answered by Amy Hazeldine
Posted Thu, 05/29/2014 - 10:57

Other Questions in General questions

The differences between mass and insulation

In Green products and materials | Asked by Nathaniel G | Sep 15, 14

Sealing gap between garage floor & drywall?

In Green building techniques | Asked by Robert Hallenbeck | Sep 20, 14

The joys of insulating...

In Green building techniques | Asked by Lucas Durand - 7A | Sep 19, 14

reading new to old

In General questions | Asked by aj builder, Upstate NY Zone 6a | Sep 20, 14

Woodpeckers, Stucco + Exterior Foam with Rainscreen

In Green building techniques | Asked by Brett Sichello | Sep 20, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!