Proper wall to attach rigid foam to the inside of the wall?

Question: what is the best way to attach rigid foam (foil faced polyiso) board to the inside of a finished wall? Can I just use longer drywall screws to go through the 1" foam and existing drywall? What if I'm going with more than that (say 2 or 3 inches of polyiso)? I'm worried that this method would have a greater tendency to pop the drywall screws out under small impacts like hanging a picture. I'm also worried that the walls will sound hollow or be bouncy when knocking on them. What are the best practices for each thickness of foam?

Asked By Ryan Griffin | Nov 17 14

Detail for stone veneer

I am looking for a wall framing detail that includes a stone veneer face over 1" ridged insulation. It seems to me that after a rain screen detail over the rigid, the next surface would be OSB or plywood that metal lath would be adhered for applying the stone veneer? So the assembly would be 2x6 stud wall, OSB, WRB, 1" ridged insulation, rain screen (lath, Coravent, etc), 1/2" plywood, metal lath, stone veneer.

Asked By Robert Holland | Nov 16 14

Does radiant heat recycle water

With regular radiant heating systems that use warm/hot water to run through tubes in the floor to heat the home, what happens to this water - does it get recycled through the system, heated up again, or does it go down a drain?

Asked By Celina Jones | Nov 22 14

Can rigid foam insulation have an air space between it and rim joist?

I am insulating my rim joists with 2" rigid foam board. Most of the rim joist is bare, and the foam fits along it nicely. Some sill boxes have some small irregularities (vent pipes, plumbing, etc) that I have worked around easily enough.

Asked By Susie Derkins | Nov 22 14

Polyiso on interior

Martin/Dana

Living in the Bellingham area north of Seattle it can get cold. The house was heated by propane, it was a cost that was hard to get hold of especially with some of the design of the house. (high ceiling)

I set out to improve the insulation of the home taking bits and pieces off the internet as to the techniques available these days.

I am a bit "OCD" now that the living room is for the most part done "I have some hidden inward worries". I wonder if I am trapping moisture inside my walls having used the foilfaced polyiso just behind the sheetrock.

Asked By William Lucrisia | Nov 21 14

Insulating an uninsulated Cape-style home (cathedral/knee)

Hi all, new member here; new homeowner too.

Asked By Nathan Schulte | Nov 20 14

Plumbing vents exiting ridge cap

Can't seem to find anything in the code, easily missed though. I have a customer who wants a metal roof installed however they have had bad experiences with pipe flashings through the roof and don't like the look of them. While I don't care for the pipe boots, (for metal roofing), appearance they seem to work well.

Anyway, to the question... Is there anything code or common sense wise that says vents couldn't go through the ridge cap? I know it wouldn't look as good but, would limit water flowing over them.

Asked By RMills Miller | Nov 21 14

HI R Value CMU

They are claiming R 19.5 on an 8 inch CMU. I guess they are adding up inches of EPS and not deducting for the LARGE thermal bridging effects:

http://www.emcoblock.com/products/block/omni-block-high-r-block.php

I'm not crazy am I? This is outlandishism in terms of r value performance?

Asked By leo kloop | Nov 22 14

Super insulating and soundproofing

I'm curious as to whether anyone has integrated soundproofing techniques into superinsulated walls. As mentioned in other posts, I'm considering adding thickness to my existing walls in the form of rigid foam, without removing current drywall. I hear foam is not the best for sound, although at least the 3/4" airspace and second layer of drywall will help. I'm curious if anyone else has explored trying to get the best of both worlds, R-value and sound reduction, while keeping thickness to a minimum.

Asked By Ryan Griffin | Nov 22 14

uysidd xinhwf jrvsdb dzhpqs

If afterlife, I want to be a poet. When a pulse is home something emotional nourishment into a time -dependent expression has become a matter of . For example paste noodles , although not very rare eating , and I do not have some feelings.

Asked By mvagqmtpw mvagqmtpw | Nov 22 14