New house build, SIPs?

New member here, we are planning to build a new house this summer and I'm exploring my options for wall systems. I plan to do the framing myself. House will be roughly 2500 sqft in Ottawa, Ontario Canada. Not the coldest place to build but not far off, and just for kicks it gets pretty hot and fairly humid here in summer as well.

Asked By Lance Peters | Jan 15 17

Passive house exterior door for reasonable price?

Has anyone come across an exterior door that provides good insulation and beefy frame that's worthy of a super insulated home but comes at a reasonable price? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Asked By Matthew Michaud | Feb 4 13

IPhone 4 4 White Deals

Though the Apple iPhone is a great device with many awesome features, it has many deficiencies that require to be raised. Things like third party support and carrier choice are just some of these. Apple emerged under fire last year for offering the iPhone 6s in a 16GB version, but this full yr the starting capacity is a more roomy 32GB, with 128GB and 256GB options available at higher price tags also. If you're a clumsy person and discover yourself falling your iPhone regularly, then checking out this case or an identical case may be in your best hobbies.

Asked By Emily Nesbit | Jan 16 17

Microsoft Android and Exchange By Adrian Gates

Handheld, mobile phone-based microscopes can be used in growing countries after minimal training of community laboratory technicians to analyze intestinal parasites quickly and accurately. IPhone 4 4 will be available in the US, France, Germany, Japan and the UK on June 24 and customers can pre-order their iPhone 4 4 start Tuesday, June 15 from the Apple WEB STORE or reserve an apple iphone 4 4 to get at an Apple SHOP. Apple has integrated 3D Touch into nearly every facet of iOS 9 - and opinions from the iPhone 6s' haptic engine motor (vibration motor) has been tuned to become more accurate.

Asked By Micheal Cadman | Jan 16 17

does part of attic that covers deck need to be insulated to prevent frost buildup?

the attic over the rest of house is insulated with vapor barrier and doesn't have frost buildup. What needs to be done to prevent frost in attic area over open deck?

Asked By Linda Walker | Jan 16 17

Mineral Wool R-value by temperature

Does anyone know if there is any information available that shows the performance of mineral/rock wool by temperature?

Buildingscience.com has this for polyiso:
https://buildingscience.com/documents/information-sheets/info-502-temper...

I am wondering if there is something similar for mineral wool.

A few other links I have found -
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/bold-attempt-slay...
http://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/59419/Big-News-The-R-Value-of-Insulat...

Asked By Nathan Scaglione | Jan 15 17

Cold Access Room - Gaps in Air Barrier

** Re-posting to the proper Q&A category **

Hi -

Asked By Joe Duchek | Jan 16 17

How should moisture/vapor wetting and drying be considered in this situation?

Details:
- Climate Zone 6, Marine setting
- Stand alone garage(1970's) to be converted to an overflow guest house w/ full bath no kitchen.
- Guest house to be used in summer only.
- Existing structure on a floating slab w/ no vapor barrier beneath, sitting poorly drained soils.
- 20' by 16' area w/ cathedral ceilings, 2x4 walls and 2x8 rafters
- 20 mil vapor barrier to be installed over slab (seams taped), may not be able to extend under existing perimeter walls.
-2x4 sleepers laid flat over 20 mil VB
-1 1/2" xps fitted between sleepers

Asked By geoff summa | Jan 16 17

Details:
- Climate Zone 6, Marine setting
-2x4 sleepers laid flat over 20 mil VB
-1 1/2" xps fitted between sleepers

Asked By geoff summa | Jan 16 17

New earth sheltered PAHS construction

I would like all opinions regarding my new home construction project. I have a full 3 days experience learning Sketchup and have managed to put several ideas on paper. Please review my plans...and pick holes in them :). I don't guarantee to change my mind, but I do promise to research varying opinions thoroughly and supporting data would be appreciated.

Assumptions:
Mixed humid climate Missouri 39 deg latititude
CoMo HDD 5173
CDD 396
Sunny days 195
Humidity ave 70% 83% AM, 56% PM
111 days rain for 46"/yr
10 days snow for 14"/yr

Asked By Laurel Davison | Nov 28 16