I am having a house built and have some questions about the crawl space.

This is a northern Idaho climate and the house was designed to be at garden level. There is a crawl space and the floor joists were originally designed to be hung with Simpson hangers below grade. Instead, there was a short support wall placed on the footings and the floor joists are sitting on the short wall. We intend on making the crawl space conditioned/mechanically ventilated. The short wall was installed within 1/8 of an inch of the foundation wall.

Asked By justin edwards | Jan 21 17

Insulating a new construction home

building a New home and doing research on insulation options. There is so many options on exterior insulation my head Is spinning. We are leaning on this idea and would like to know if it is a good idea or not?
2x4 walls sprayed with 3 inches closed cell foam
Osb
tyvek drainwrap
1 1/2 inch xps
We live in Michigan zone 5
Will this work or is a moisture issue? I've read articles with different opinions it's all confusing.

Asked By Colleen A | Jan 22 17

Vapor Barrier on top of SIP floor?

We are working out the details for the construction of our new house in the Pacific Northwest. Our architect and structural engineer have specified a 9 1/4" SIP floor for the 1st floor. Since we will be building in a flood zone, our foundation will be an open design with concrete columns extending from a mat foundation. Horizontal beams will sit on top of the columns and the SIP panels will sit on top of the beams. The structural engineer has specified a factory treatment of "bluewood" preservative to the bottom face of the SIP panels.

Asked By Kevin Camfield | Jan 17 17

Basement Insulation Question

Hello:

I'm building a house in Zone 5 (southern CT). The house will have a full basement with spray on waterproofing. There is no sub-slab foam. The builder budgeted for 2" of XPS (with dimpled moisture facing) on the sub-grade exterior of the foundation walls, but NOT the above grade portions. There will be a footing drain running to daylight and a shed water system to catch storm water running off of our house (2 foot overhangs; no gutters). The soil is sandy loam and drains well.

Asked By Adam S | Jan 20 17

How to insulate a vaulted ceiling

I am an American living in Provence France. We have hot summers and for the most part mild winters. In January, temperature can drop into the upper twenty during the night. It is a dry climate. I have been renovating a house at different times since last April. During the spring of the year I did the outside roof structure. I installed a new wood decking then a product called flexotuille designed to put under a clay tile roof. After a few other project, I have removed the inside ceiling in the den area in order to vault the ceiling in this area.

Asked By Louis Mattei | Jan 23 17

Minisplit troubleshooting

I built a well-insulated house this fall and after learning about minisplits on this site, we decided to heat our house with 3 minisplits. I can write more about this at a future date, but for now I'm having trouble with one of them and am trying to debug it to get as much information as I can before approaching the HVAC tech that installed it. We are in climate zone 7, so we have a lot of cold nights here (we've been below -22F several times this winter).

2 of our minisplits are Fujitsu 15RLS3H, which have been working just fine, no problem heating our house.

Asked By Nick Hall | Jan 23 17

Insulation for vaulted ceiling

We re-roofed our house this summer and found a lot of damage over our family room with a vaulted ceiling. We replaced the plywood and are now redoing the underside. The roof has a roof ridge vent and ventilation holes in the soffits. We are creating on-site baffles with 1" rigid foam boards. We are planning to use R30C insulation which is denser for cathedral ceilings. The question is do we use faced or unfaced, and do we need to use plastic sheeting as a vapor barrier? We want to get it right this time!
Kim

Asked By Kim Howard | Nov 22 16

Smoke odor

Hi, We are restoring a severely fire damaged home and while many components have been simply removed (down to the studs), the framing needs to be treated to eliminate the smoke odor. Our research has pointed us toward alcohol based shellacs. Some say first use an oil based primer and then the shellac. Can you advise?
Thanks, jk

Asked By Joseph Klockner | Jan 23 17

Can Roxul Comfortboard 80 be installed on roof deck in non-vented assembly 70psf load requirement?

Passive house build in Northern California

Asked By Forrest Kerr | Jan 14 17

Cold access room - Air barrier gaps between roofline and exterior wall

Hi Everyone,

Asked By Joe Duchek | Jan 13 17