Q&A: A Forum for Green Building Experts and Beginners

Q & A Instructions

[Click map to enlarge]

The GBAGreenBuildingAdvisor.com web site has a wealth of articles on a wide variety of construction topics. Before posting your question, you may want to check out the articles on this page: How To Do Everything. You just might discover an article there that provides the information you seek.

Please register for a free account or sign in to ask and answer green building questions.

If you want to post a question, the usual rules of courtesy apply:
1. Be nice.
2. If you can't be nice, be polite.
3. If you can't be nice or polite — well, please be brief.

To attach a photo or illustration: Under the box labeled “More explanation,” look for the words “File attachments.” Click that, and you should be able to attach a photo.

Thanks for joining the conversation!

2 Answers

Steel Quonset hut — 1 hour fire rating?

Hello,

Asked By J Choi | Jul 31 15
1 Answer

Mini split in the living room: Comfortable?

I would assume that putting a mini split right in front of a couch or chair would cause discomfort from the cold air in the summer and the blowing air in the winter? Is there a rule of thumb on how far away a mini split should be located from where people will be sitting?

Asked By Clay Whitenack | Jul 31 15
8 Answers

Household humidity

Lots of numbers. Thermostat reads 52% humidity, HRV control reads 49% humidity. The Hobo reads 56.5% relative humidity. The sling psychrometer has wet bulb 66, dry 72, which is 76% relative humidity. So how humid is this place?

Asked By Walter Gayeski | Jul 30 15
3 Answers

Reliability/durability of Mitsubishi vs. Fujitsu mini-split heat pumps?

I am looking into a 3-zone cold-climate heat pump for my zone 6A home in Vermont. The proposals I've received are for (a) Mitsubishi MXZ-3C30NAHZ and (b) Fujitsu AOU24RLXFZH.

Asked By Jonathan Teller-Elsberg | Jul 30 15
15 Answers

Air Sealing - Tape, Sealant?

I am looking at the articles here about air sealing and most of them provide information such as where to seal but the products are not so easily determined. I am planning on taping either the OSB Seams before house wrap with 3M All Weather tape - or possibly only taping the house wrap seams. (as long as I get the right tape that doesn't allow problems with taped horizontal seams)

Asked By Nicholas C | Jul 29 15
1 Answer

Anyone familiar with Insultex house wrap?

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this house wrap - http://www.insultexhousewrap.com/

They appear to be making some exaggerated claims and I am not certain that the R-value claimed would be possible.

Any thoughts?

Asked By Marcus Sheffer | Jul 31 15
13 Answers

How the heck was Pittsburgh, PA named a green city?!

I need some help finding a home builder in Pittsburgh, PA (preferable southwest PA).

My husband and I have had passive solar home plans drawn up and I would really like to build with SIPs. After researching everything... it just seems like building with solar passive strategies and conventionally framing is it, is like wrapping a diamond ring in the comics.

Asked By Melanie Beth Scott | Jun 12 15
5 Answers

Another crawl space...

I would like to improve upon the poly vapor barrier that exists on the dirt floor of my crawlspace. I have read the ‘crawlspace article’ penned by Martin but have some specific questions.

Asked By Rob Shuman | Jul 30 15
4 Answers

Is it OK for a basement floor slab on slab edge on only 3 sides?

I am having a new house built and when I looked at the foundation there was a floor slab edge only on 3 sides and when I called the general contractor he told me the concrete contractor had already poured the floor and said it was all fine. the rest of the concrete work looks fine, but missing the slab edge on one side worries me and I don't know what to do???

Asked By Steve May | Jul 30 15
2 Answers

Can a home have Grade 1 insulation quality and ceiling strapping?

Strapping with fiberglass batts seems to be what is used on most/many new New England construction. You could achieve closer to grade 1 insulation with a blown in product but even that will most likely have some voids/gaps. How do you grade this common practice? Some areas near Maryland go to another extreme with sprinkler piping. The code officials are making the batts go above the water pipes creating hugs gaps. Can this be grade 1?

Asked By Mark Bashista | Jul 31 15
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!