Need to replace clothes dryer - what technology?

My wife informs me that our electric clothes dryer is nearly kaput. Should I replace it with the same kind?... as I understand the technology hasn't changed in years. I also hear of newfangled tech like condensing (ductless) dryers, heat pump dryers, and of course gas dryers.

What is a efficiency / cost savings / payback period of these alternatives? We live in New Hampshire, so heating-dominant climate. Electricity costs me $0.17/kWh, propane is currently going for $1.90. Would probably cost $200 to bring a line over to that side of the basement.

Asked By Tyler Davis | Apr 21 18

I've been following this site ever since our very uninformed decision to purchase a 1 1/2 story house

Good morning All!
First of all, many thanks for the invaluable information and advice....been following this site ever since our very uninformed decision to purchase a 1 1/2 story house in Twin Cities, MN. If only we knew.... Paying dearly for it but ig...

I have the impending siding job so adding the gables would be quite easy at this point

Asked By MN2008 | Apr 23 18

Crawl space: To vent or not to vent?

Building here in Chattanooga (CZ-4), there is possiblity of a basement due to shallow soil before bedrock. And we're on a slope, so crawlspace it is.

I've been preparing myself for a conditioned crawlspace but have run across info from 475 that is making me question. If the underside of batt insulation is sealed with a product like one of their Solitex Mento products, airtight yet vapor open, would this be an alternative to sealing the entire space? Thoughts?

Asked By Ytsehoos | Apr 23 18

Painting old wood siding?

I'm looking to remove the vinyl siding from my house and either paint the old wood clapboard siding or remove it and replace with it LP, Hardie, or cedar - or maybe Boral polyash. Still doing the research on which siding to use. I've removed a small section of vinyl and the old siding is in pretty good shape but I've been told I'll regret leaving the old wood because paint will never stick to it. Blown in cellulose has been installed directly behind the clapboards and I've heard that also reduces the life of the paint. Thoughts?

Asked By Michael Mohr | Nov 28 17

Are these calculations wrong?

Hi all; we're building a 2300 sqft ranch with a basement for a total of 4600 sqft of conditioned space in climate zone 4-A. The slab is 4" concrete with R15 under it. The foundation walls are 8" concrete with R15 against them. The rest of the walls are aerated concrete with insulation for a minimum of R21.5 - 11.5 for the block and another 10 for the foam. The windows have a low .20s U-factor and a SHGC of .26. Most of the windows face East with a few facing West and North. There is only one small South facing window. We will be using an ERV for ventilation.

Asked By Michael Grundvig | Apr 22 18

Can Housewrap 'melt' under steel siding?

I am installing metal siding on a new construction Home and planned on installing Hydrogap by Benjamin Obdyke underneath. The siding contractor has expressed concern that the paper or the dimples on it may melt.
Has anyone ever experienced housewrap 'melting' from the suns heat.

Asked By user-7015584 | Apr 22 18

Details for 4-foot-wide brow roof?

CZ6A, 45 degrees Lat., Ottawa ON

Finishing up the details of our new build. I'm going over my plans with my Engineer and he has concerns about the integrity of my brow roof design. Specifically, he's worried about snow load and sag (creep) over time. This is for the south facing wall and its large windows.

Do any of the builders here have experience with design details for a 4ft deep brow roof on a flat two story wall?

Asked By Lance Peters | Apr 22 18

Summer water heating solution

Looking for a summer water heating solution. I am considering an indirect heating solution with a electric back-up. An indirect is a great heating season solution but keeping the boiler on all summer is a waste. My fuel choices are electric or oil, no gas available. Anyone have experience with these? I know that the best solution is probably a HPWH and PV panels but I am not well situated for solar.

Asked By Jonathan Blaney | Apr 23 18

Rafter insulation - design

Hi all,

So am revisiting insulating my attic rafters. I am in Richmond Va and have a 2 year old roof. I debated spray foam (closed) but it is very expensive. So I am looking at doing a 1 inch air gap soffitt to ridge and using Roxul R30.
I will have to fur out my 2x8s for this to work.
My plan is as follows:
R-30 Roxul - allowed by my building inspector - 7.25" thick
Ripping a 2x4 in half - gives me 1.75" of depth for furring out the 2x8
To ensure the correct depth, rip some 2x4s to 1" high and 1/2" wide and nail them to the rafters along roof line.

Asked By Joe Watson | Apr 8 18

Inadvertent vapor barrier?

I live in MN and have a 12'x16' porch addition that I'm about to insulate the vaulted ceiling. I'm calling the porch a 3-1/2 season porch since I'm installing electric base board heat which allows me to heat the room, but only when I intend to use the room, which may not be that often in the dead of winter. The scissor trusses are just 4/12 exterior pitch with a 2/12 vaulted ceiling and 7" heel height at the wall line, so not a lot of room to meet R value requirements here.

Asked By BobPv | Apr 22 18