Second generation Whirlpool heat-pump clothes dryers: Any good?

I would like to install a ventless dryer. The Whirlpool HybridCare duets are the only large ventless dryers on the market. The discontinued WED99HEDW model got a lot of good reviews. The new models don't have many reviews yet, but the reviews they have aren't good.

Here's my question: Is anybody out there actively building the new models into new homes, and are you getting callbacks about their quality? Does anybody have a new model HybridCare, and has it been reliable?

--John

Asked By John Ranson | Mar 26 17

adding exterior insulation over stucco

I have a client who is looking at remodel and wants to improve the insulation and sealing. This is a rental property and wishes to minimize cost. The exterior is stucco (45 Years old) and I want to know if there is any way to insulate on top of the stucco and then provide a new exterior. Will be taking the interior down to studs.

Location is Western Canada, Souther Alberta.

Thanks for the thoughts

Asked By Christopher Houston | Mar 27 17

Spay foam on the inside of poured foundation to avoid mold?

I have a question regarding insulating a new construction poured foundation in zone 6B, close to 7A. Twenty miles north of Minneapolis.

Originally I was planning on either a T-Mass or ICF foundation. Both are somewhat more expensive and have a lower R value than what I am now proposing. The current plan is to insulate the outside with 2" foam sheets. This will satisfy code. Then on the inside I would spray 2" of foam and insulate a stud wall with either Rockwool or fiberglass. This wall would be around R-30.

Asked By jim sweazey | Mar 26 17

ERV selection

I've been reading, reading and reading about the various ERV options. Once I think I've narrowed it down, I read a new article or a new model has be released. What is the latest thoughts on the ERV market ranking them from best and also value?

Asked By Seth Holmen | Mar 26 17

Exhaust vent outdoor opening size?

Okay, this is a nitpicking detail, but what does this part of the IRC mean?

R303.6 "Air exhaust and intake openings that terminate outdoors shall be protected with corrosion resistant screens, louvers, or grilles having an opening size of not less than 1/4" and a maximum opening size of 1/2", in any dimension."

Does this mean that the holes in an exhaust vent have to be smaller than an 1/2" circle? That doesn't line up with most of the vents that I've seen on the market, especially dryer vents.

--John

Asked By John Ranson | Mar 27 17

Log-in problem

I signed up for the GBA Prime service this morning. However, when I try to read the restricted articles, the pop-up for registering comes up but does not respond to the "Already Registered? Sign In" prompt.

So I can't sign in. Please help.

Mike Guthrie

Asked By Michael Guthrie | Mar 27 17

Low-slope "warm" roof build-up clarification

Hello
We are advancing on the planning stages of a new build project in climate 4C (near Vancouver, Canada). Thanks to the many articles and Q&As on this site I've got myself comfortable with most outstanding issues we are facing in developing our roof and wall build ups. This is a small building used as a holiday home, not fully occupied in Winter.
With that in mind any feedback from your good selves would be appreciated.
The roof is a mono pitch (shed style) front to back at just 1:12 with no "rafter" space to hold insulation
Build up:
- Exposed 3X8 Douglas fir beams

Asked By Quinn Sievewright | Mar 26 17

Building a new home in Climate Zone 5 — Need insulation help

We are building a new home in zone 5 (Michigan) and I would like your recommendations on how you would insulate the walls and roof/attic space.

The home is 3500 sqft with 2750 on the main floor and 750 upstairs. The main living space (kitchen, dinning, living room) is open concept with a cathedral ceiling. Other areas have a more traditional attic space.

The basement will be unfinished and we will use 2" rigid foam under the slab and on the walls. (unless you tell me differently)

Walls are 2x6 construction.

Asked By NKoenig | Mar 26 17

Different one-part foams

Hey folks,

I'm installing XPS/EPS rigid foam against my basement walls. I've seen and read on FHB using low-expanding as the adhesive to hold the foam on the walls. I'll be framing a 2x4 wall in front of the rigid foam, so the adhesive only needs a moderate hold.

Great Stuff Window & Door is by far the most common spray foam I see. Its in the big box stores, Amazon, etc. I've put up a few rigid foam sheets in the basement as a test with the Great Stuff and the hold is fine.

Asked By Jamie Royal | Mar 26 17

Building a new house, looking for opinion on insulation/exterior foam combinations

I am currently in the process of designing a new home. I built one four years ago that we have decided is too big and inefficient for what we need. This time around I am looking to build small, simple and efficient. The house will most likely be framed with 2x6 walls, however I would like to maximize R value of that wall.

Asked By user-6801629 | Mar 23 17