Does radiant heat recycle water

With regular radiant heating systems that use warm/hot water to run through tubes in the floor to heat the home, what happens to this water - does it get recycled through the system, heated up again, or does it go down a drain?

Asked By Celina Jones | Nov 22 14

Detail for stone veneer

I am looking for a wall framing detail that includes a stone veneer face over 1" ridged insulation. It seems to me that after a rain screen detail over the rigid, the next surface would be OSB or plywood that metal lath would be adhered for applying the stone veneer? So the assembly would be 2x6 stud wall, OSB, WRB, 1" ridged insulation, rain screen (lath, Coravent, etc), 1/2" plywood, metal lath, stone veneer.

Asked By Robert Holland | Nov 16 14

Home energy monitoring programs

I am building a net zero energy home to Passive House standards in the Seattle area. In addition to having it be as efficient as possible, my goals were to use renewable materials (no foam), eliminate thermal bridging. have a protected air-barrier and to keep the OSB warm. I'm using dense packed cellulose in the R-50 walls and R-85 roof (cathedral ceiling with parallel chord trusses). The wall assembly is a double stud system with an inner 2x6 load bearing wall and an outer 2x4 wall.

Asked By Gerald Blycker | Nov 21 14

Polyiso on interior

Martin/Dana

Living in the Bellingham area north of Seattle it can get cold. The house was heated by propane, it was a cost that was hard to get hold of especially with some of the design of the house. (high ceiling)

I set out to improve the insulation of the home taking bits and pieces off the internet as to the techniques available these days.

I am a bit "OCD" now that the living room is for the most part done "I have some hidden inward worries". I wonder if I am trapping moisture inside my walls having used the foilfaced polyiso just behind the sheetrock.

Asked By William Lucrisia | Nov 21 14

What's a good damper for a bath fan/range hood vent?

My bath fan vent is basically a big hole in the house to the exterior and sucks air out of the house in the high New Mexico winds, which today reached 30 mph. There's no damper or air check valve or anything like that installed up there, and I'd like to rectify it. What do people use for this situation? A standard butterfly damper? Something louvered? This thing? http://www.batticdoor.com/bathfandraftblocker.html

Asked By Nathaniel G | Nov 23 14

Help with Green Addition and hyrdonic heat demo

I am in the process of designing a pretty substantial addition onto my home in central Missouri. I understand that our relatively low electricity costs will not be around in the next 5-10 years in the US and am planning for this.

Asked By Michael McArdle | Nov 23 14

Designing a passive solar / net zero house in NC Mountains

My wife and I are designing a new mountain home in Banner Elk, NC. We are in the initial design stages with our architect and are confused by the numerous options to consider. Our house will be built in the Eagles Nest community which has a pacific northwest lodge feel. Our home site is at a 5,000 foot elevation on the mountain ridge with a northern view.

Asked By bill Moseley | Nov 23 14

Seeking an air-to-water heat pump

I'm looking for an air-to-water heat pump and feedback from those who've used them. We have a LEED for Homes project in Victoria, BC, perfect climate for heat pump, affordability of project prohibits groundsource for 36Kbtu heat loss of 1800 ft2 home and for optimal comfort, low temp/efficiency, to avoid ducting we're selected hydronic in-slab for heating distribution thus standard air-to-air heat pump is a no-go.

Asked By Allison Ashcroft | Jul 28 09

Proper wall to attach rigid foam to the inside of the wall?

Question: what is the best way to attach rigid foam (foil faced polyiso) board to the inside of a finished wall? Can I just use longer drywall screws to go through the 1" foam and existing drywall? What if I'm going with more than that (say 2 or 3 inches of polyiso)? I'm worried that this method would have a greater tendency to pop the drywall screws out under small impacts like hanging a picture. I'm also worried that the walls will sound hollow or be bouncy when knocking on them. What are the best practices for each thickness of foam?

Asked By Ryan Griffin | Nov 17 14

Insulating an uninsulated Cape-style home (cathedral/knee)

Hi all, new member here; new homeowner too.

Asked By Nathan Schulte | Nov 20 14