Foundation Uplift

I am planning to build a 2 story standard colonial (28 x 36) in lower Michigan using Sips upper walls and a PWF conditioned crawlspace foundation. I am somewhat puzzled by how uplift is prevented in some of the PWF recommendations I see proposed. I will not be back filling the interior walls so it appears there are 2 options. Pour a 3-1/2" concrete floor( attach to wall via a screed board with embedded fasteners) or build a treated regular joist floor?

Asked By William Oldaker | Jan 21 18

What should I replace my heating and cooling system with?

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on the 'best' solution to my heating and cooling (and hot water)

- Zone 5b
- Loads from coolcalc and manual D/J
Heating loads
- Main house: 28k to 36k, 900 cfm
- Sunroom addition (can be closed off): 8k, 150 cfm unducted not planning to directly heat (current situation)
- Office addition 5k/3k, 180 cfm. Unducted, can probably be heated via staircase.

Cooling:
- Main house cooling load: 24k to 36k, 1200 cfm
- Sunroom addition: 8k, 450 cfm unducted not planning to directly heat (current situation)

Asked By Jill D | Jan 17 18

Duct board repair/starter collar holder help

A contractor who installed my heater wrong/ I had to replace it after 12 years.
is now fixing my duct system to make me happy, (per them)
the duct system is duct board 26.5" wide 15.5" tall that runs like an L
around say 13 feet then L then say 75 feet long.
it dips down in the middle then goes back up but its all the same size.
from that flex taps off the box to the vents along the way and at the end they ran a 10" scoop to 8x8x8 and then 8x6x8 so its two 8 inch and one 6 inch flex at the vary end of the duct board.

Asked By Chicken123 | Jan 21 18

Heat loss, can lights in cathedral ceiling

The information about replacing or retrofitting can lights with LED fixtures has been really helpful. However, I have a cathedral ceiling with what I think are standard can lights, with a diameter of 7.5" within the can, and about 9.5 " total diameter including trim--the ceilings are about 18' high so I am having a difficult time getting to one to carefully measure.

I cannot find anywhere residential can light LED retrofits for this size. I've looked at what Cree offers, as well as Home Depot and Lowes, and they all max out at 6".

Asked By JWBDSR | Oct 17 17

Basement floor underlayment

I am considering putting down a 12mm laminate floor in my Michigan basement, with the primary goal of "warming up" the floor surface. Currently there are vinyl tiles on the floor with many of them missing. The house was built in the 1950s and has a low (7'1") floor to ceiling joist bottom height. What I am considering is using Selitac underlayment by Shaw Floors, which is a relatively thin (2mm) foil-faced, insulated material that would not contribute to headroom problems. I would tape all of the abutting seams of each piece as recommended.

Asked By Jay Jackson | Jan 21 18

Options for reducing ladybug infestation?

Is there a good "green" way to get rid of ladybugs?

We have hundreds in the walls in our house. Unfortunately it is not possible to completely seal this old house, so we have them crawling into the attic, into the bathroom, and now they are crawling all over the closed cell foam. I wonder if they eat sawdust, or maybe the operation of power tools in the attic creates vibrations that make them come out of their crevices.

Asked By rich cowen | Jan 21 18

Wood stove backdraft

Hi all,

Asked By Randy Williams | Jan 19 18

I’m interested in disconnecting from the grid

Our house is tight. One of my big winter loads is the clothes dryer. I am getting questionable reviews on heat pump dryers. Should we just “freeze dry “ laundry on the porch. Are there any options?

We had poor reliability with two different horizontal axis washers and now have a Maytag. It spins but not like a horiz. axis.

Thanks.
Steve in Wellsboro

Asked By Steven McCarthy | Jan 18 18

Cycling of heat pump

I have a Fujitsu heat pump with two indoor units each in relatively small rooms. (For good or bad, this decision was made because I was not satisfied if only one room had a unit that sufficient heat could be transmitted to the second room and I wanted each room to have its own thermostat. I recognize that they are larger than I need but I did not see good alternatives) Currently both units are set on "minimum heat" (50 degrees F) because the rooms are not occupied for days at a time.

Asked By David Martin | Jan 14 18

Insulating a walkout basment

I'm trying to insulate my walkout basement in Chicago so Zone 5. I read through bunch of the posts but just need some clarification if what I have gathered is correct. I'm attaching a diagram to show exactly what my plan is but just need to figure out if the section above foundation/ground will have any issues with this setup.

Thanks

Asked By tkaj | Jan 19 18