Conventional heat pumps with mini-split low temp efficiency?

There seems to be quite a few options for extra high efficiency heat pumps when you go with mini-splits, but I am struggling to find conventional heat pumps that stand out. It will be connected to a standard ECM motor air handler, like a normal a/c unit would. The ducting is basically in the plans, so there is no going back now.

Asked By Mai Tai | Jun 22 18

How to keep pine siding from greying

I will be using vertical shiplap pine siding (local) on my house build in a couple months. I have used this pine siding before and love the way it looks for the first 2 years (warm wood tones and varying colors, grains) but then it greys out. Any products that anyone would recommend for greying protection that won't change the initial look too much? or should I just learn to live with the greying

Asked By tech1234 | Jun 23 18

Natural Gas wall furnaces

Hi there - I am curious if the GBA community has any opinions on direct-vented natural gas wall furnaces like the Rinnai EX22CN.

I have a 500 sqft kitchen + dining room + living room space with high ceilings and it's currently heated by my massively oversized central air furnace that heats the whole first floor (60k Btu for a 1100 sqft downstairs.) The ductwork also runs through my unconditioned crawl and I'm pretty sure it loses a lot of heat on the way.

Asked By frasca | Jun 24 18

Unvented roof — vaulted ceilings — moisture, rot, etc.

Im hoping someone can steer me in the right direction for an issue Im having with my current roof.

As best I can describe here is the situation

Full home remodel completed in 2015 including 2nd story addition and brand new roof.
Home is in Southern California about a mile or so from the beach
Vaulted Ceilings exist in every bedroom, however the problem seems to be localized to one side of the house where there is not attic space, no venting.
Canned lights exist in each room, they are just standard cans IE they are NOT fully enclosed/sealed

Asked By Meyersrl | Jun 22 18

Air Barrier Location

I'm in the process of beginning our new home in the next few weeks. We're located up in Newfoundland, Canada, just around St. John's. We're planning on incorporating a double stud wall to increase the R-value of the home. The plan is, from outside to in, : R8 Comfortboard, Tyvek, Plywood,, 2x6 wall with fiberglass batt, 6mm poly, and 2x4 wall with fiberglass batt which will contain all of the electrical and plumbing.

Asked By Dan C | Aug 6 17

Roof vent size for vaulted ceiling

Hi
I'm building a garage with a vaulted ceiling and at the point where i need to vent the roof. I see there are formulas for calculating attic ventilation but i can't find a formula for calculating a vaulted ceiling.
Should I measure sq. ft. of each roof side and add both sides to get the total sq ft? For example, my roof is 25' long and 10' from wall plate to ridge. This is 250 sq ft per side bringing the total to 500 sq ft to ventilate.
So i'm thinking i can now use the formula which says i need 240 sq in at the soffit and 240 sq in at the ridge???

Asked By Nepal | Jun 22 18

Vinyl siding recycling

I found your map for vinyl recycling but i live in Greeley CO. and it appears there are no recyclers in this area. Any suggestions??

Asked By Patj47 | Jun 23 18

Tyvek reinvent battens

Anyone have experience with this product? I'm considering using it as furring strips over roxul comfortboard and under lp smartside. I'm a little concerned about termites with regular wood furring strips even though I've read that is not a problem. Termites are nasty in MO. Thanks
Josh

Asked By user-7088022 | Jun 23 18

Fastening Exterior pine trim to an ICF home

This is my first ICF build and getting ready to fasten exterior pine trim boards to my ICF home. I don't want to strap it out unless absolutely necessary. I was planning on using a membrane like Blue-Skin behind the pine. Has anyone had any experience good or bad with pine trim boards on ICF

Asked By Wayde | Jun 23 18

Bubble-wrap air space 2" below in-joist radiant floor heating

My hydronic heating supplier sold me enough foil wrap for the 1600 sq. ft, two storey addition I've put on the house. I've read conflicting accounts for and against and before I begin or return this material.
I intend to install 2" styrofoam below slab in the basement addition.
Is bubble wrap efficient/sufficient with an airspace below the radiant floor hearing followed my drywall? or should I add R12 Roxul below this? Or eliminate the bubble wrap and just go with batts?

Thanks Martin, I enjoy your posts and see them frequently in Fine Home Building mag.

Asked By user-6765846 | Jun 23 18