Seal (without insulating) rim joist?

I've got a crawlspace in a 1940 home that is reasonably warm and dry, but I want to seal against airflow and spiders. Is it crazy not to insulate as well?

I feel like I can get the sealing done now, and might insulate at a later date.

If I go this route, what is best for sealing the sill plate and rim joist (not sure if I'm using those words right...)? Caulk only, or Great Stuff? If I use Great Stuff I imagine the process being easier -- it's a tight crawlspace -- but I'm not sure if that works as well.

Asked By Firsty Lasty | Apr 25 15

Building a home - to code?

Hello all,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I am in the process of designing a small (~ 700 sq. ft.), off-grid house. My intention is to do as much of the design and construction as possible with my own head and hands.

I've been a car mechanic for 10 years, and so have a good understanding of the basic principles of electricity (the house will use 12V wherever possible), HVAC, plumbing, etc. However, I don't have much in the way of hands-on experience with construction.

Two questions (among many) occur:

Asked By Tomas Gray | Apr 23 15

Sheathing moisture in a temperate climate

I don't want to sidetrack the discussion in the Blog on sheathing moisture, so I'll ask a related question here:
In a temperate but wet climate like the PNW, are seasonal elevated moisture levels more serious as the outside temperatures never get cold enough to inhibit rot or mold?

Asked By Malcolm Taylor | Apr 24 15

Roof SIPs and 2012 IRC R806

WIth an 8" polyurethane SIP (OSB skins), would the 2012 IRC R806 code apply for roof venting or is that only applicable for ceiling with roof rafters?

Asked By Peter L | Apr 23 15

Passive Solar: is a tweak to increase orientation towards the south worth it?

Friends,

Bald eagles and osprey are busy snatching fish from the lake. Migrating pelicans and loons are stopping by to feed. And we our readying for our May 15 passive solar cabin groundbreaking at 46 degrees N in Minnesota.

We are razing an old 500 sq ft cabin to make way for our 1,100 sq ft cabin that folks on this forum vetted previously regarding heat pump sizing. http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/qa-spotlight/designing-hv...

Asked By Randy Bunney | Apr 24 15

Rim joist at ceiling rafters

Here is a wall section image from several houses I built 10 years ago.
2X6 studson 2' centers. The rafter sits on the joist and rim with 2X6 headers in the wall below.
Considering doubling rim joist over 3' openings instead.
Looking for input.

Asked By Donald Ross | Apr 22 15

Perforated metal used in Roxul rock board install?

I've read through this article and tried to contact /find contacts for the owners, but was unlucky. The link to their blog http://agreenhearth.com/ no longer works..

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/guest-blogs/installing-ro...

Asked By Lucyna de Barbaro | Apr 24 15

Water heater standby losses

Does anyone have a reference for the standby losses (in BTU/hr) for a "typical" gas-fired 40 gallon water heater?

Thanks.

Asked By Pete Engle | Apr 28 10

Sealing gap between garage floor & drywall?

Hi:

I am trying to figure out whether & how to air seal the gap between my garage floor and drywall in my 12-year old three-story townhouse in zone 2a. The gap is generally 1/2" wide, however in many places it's less. The door shown in the photos leads to the first-floor of the house.

I think caulk (any particular kind?) is the answer, but wanted to check first.

Also curious - without performing a blower door test, how "bad" do you think this gap is from an air-sealing perspective?

Rob

Asked By Robert Hallenbeck | Sep 20 14

Free webinar today - Prefab PassiveHouse construction

I'm not affiliated with the following, but thought it might be of interest to many readers here.

Passive Buildings Canada is offering a free webinar this afternoon discussing prefabricated Passive house construction.
Includes:
Adam Cohen
Lydia Hunter
Hans Eich

Follow the link here for registration - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 3:00 PM - 4:30 PM EDT

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/4316742390004913154?utm_source...

Asked By Mark Fredericks | Apr 24 15