Florida Shed With A/C, Insulation, Vapor Barrier - Please help!

We are planning to buy a 12 x 24 pre-fab portable building like the Lofted Barn at Cookstuff.com.

We live in southwest Florida and need to air condition it 365/yr (pretty much). Going to use the building for our handmade soap workshop and humidity is very important to our soap curing process so we will be using a portable dehumidifier in the space in addition to a wall a/c.

Asked By Ron Taylor | Jan 16 17

What to do with torrents off the roof?

Zone 4A, East TN, annual rainfall >50" and downpours can be significant. Upslope lot.

Downspouts will tie into 4" pipe to daylight, but then what? Seems responsible to NOT discharge it down the driveway. But if I discharge it onto the slope it would soon create a local grand canyon.

There will be a 3' garden wall to provide a level grade in front of the house. The 4"gutter drains will exit through that wall in two or three places.

Any tried and true remedies?

Asked By David McNeely | Jan 16 17

Ways to deal with a breakup

5 Ways to deal with a breakup

Asked By Phil Overton | Jan 16 17

New house build, SIPs?

New member here, we are planning to build a new house this summer and I'm exploring my options for wall systems. I plan to do the framing myself. House will be roughly 2500 sqft in Ottawa, Ontario Canada. Not the coldest place to build but not far off, and just for kicks it gets pretty hot and fairly humid here in summer as well.

Asked By Lance Peters | Jan 15 17

air sealing and insulating upto chimney?

Hi guys!

I'm looking for some advice on insulating and air sealing near a fireplace and chimney in my house (zone 6a). The chimney is unlined and the furnace and water heater are vented up chimney. I'm not going to use the fireplace as is, but I'm planning to put in a wood burning stove insert at a later time. Looking at the attached pictures, do you have ideas on how to air seal the space between the right of the chimney and the framing. Can I fill this space with mineral wool insulation? For the rest of the house I used mineral wool with membrain. Thanks, I appreciate any help!

Asked By Betina Chaon | Jan 16 17

Mineral Wool R-value by temperature

Does anyone know if there is any information available that shows the performance of mineral/rock wool by temperature?

Buildingscience.com has this for polyiso:
https://buildingscience.com/documents/information-sheets/info-502-temper...

I am wondering if there is something similar for mineral wool.

A few other links I have found -
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/bold-attempt-slay...
http://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/59419/Big-News-The-R-Value-of-Insulat...

Asked By Nathan Scaglione | Jan 15 17

Insulation retrofit

Looking for some advice on a smallish rehab project I am about to start. I've read many of the great articles and Q&A discussions here, so I think have bit of direction...but as I am novice, I am interested in some feedback before I moved forward.

Asked By Jeremy Kachejian | Jan 12 17

ZIP Window Detail with Exterior Insulation

On ZIP's website, they have window details which appear to combine the flashing/window buck of an outie window, but it is shown flashing into a WRB (in this case the ZIP sheathing) located behind the exterior insulation.

Asked By Derrick Krienert | Jan 15 17

Installation of a firebox in a very old stone fireplace that is on an external stone wall and is very damp.

Do I install a vapour barrier first and then rock wool or ceramic wool with aluminium foil in order to insulate the interior of the existing fireplace? would I use similar techniques to the techniques of shower construction e.g.. backboard etc?

Asked By Marina Stass | Jan 16 17