GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

I have a gable roof with a gable vent in front, but there is now a cathedral addition

rockinroger | Posted in General Questions on

In south Mississippi, I have a gable roof with a gable vent in front, but there is now a cathedral addition in the rear, so there is no longer a rear gable vent. No ridge vent, no soffitt vents. It is an unconditioned attic with HVAC ductwork. The air handler is in a closet below the ceiling. The fresh air intake is located in the ceiling of the front porch which is a cantilever.

I have two registers going from the original rear gable wall into the new addition which is split into two equal rooms, each 14’x16′.

How do I create a satisfactory envelope?

Do I do a floor, wall, ceiling in the original structure, and leave the HVAC ducts unconditioned, or can I use open cell, or 1″ polyiso sheets on the undersides of the rafters for a roof envelope?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Roger,
    If you have attic ductwork, the best approach is to move the insulation to the sloped roof assembly, so that you convert your vented unconditioned attic to an unvented conditioned attic.

This article should answer your questions: Creating a Conditioned Attic.

For more information on why it is important to address this issue, you might want to read Keeping Ducts Indoors.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |