Helpful? 0

Looking for someone to design/build an energy-efficient home in Maine

I've contacted a few energy-efficient home designers/builders in the Cumberland County, Maine area to design/build a home for my family but they are backlogged with work for 6 mos-1 yr.

Can someone make some recommendations of quality energy-efficient home designers near Cumberland County, Maine and also quality builders of energy-efficient homes near Cumberland County, Maine?

Asked by Eric Cyr
Posted Fri, 06/20/2014 - 12:16
Edited Fri, 06/20/2014 - 12:56

Tags:

6 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

I'm currently working with Jesse Thompson and Jamie Broadbent of Kaplan Thompson architects in Portland. Theyre' designing a highly energy efficient home for us in Lincoln county. You might give one of them a call. They have been a pleasure to work with.
Keep in mind that the design process will take a while if you want to get it right.

Answered by stephen sheehy
Posted Fri, 06/20/2014 - 15:59

Helpful? 0

Thanks Stephen. Can you share what the costs are for their services?

Answered by Eric Cyr
Posted Wed, 07/02/2014 - 07:37

Helpful? 0

You should call them.

Answered by stephen sheehy
Posted Wed, 07/02/2014 - 10:52

Helpful? 0

Eric, I would have assumed KTA was your first call. Jesse is remarkable but I would expect they won't fit such a quick pace. We can help you. You can reach me at matt@cardinalpointme.com and I will get you our references, discuss pricing, and compare notes on your potential builder selection.

Happy to see you doing the due diligence here. A pro membership is worth every penny.

Answered by Matthew Nolette - So Maine CZ 6A
Posted Wed, 07/02/2014 - 12:55

Helpful? 0

Eric,

Sorry for not noticing this earlier. Thanks for the kind words, Stephen! If anyone wants a test case of an ideal client, it might be Stephen & his wife, they've been a pleasure to work with for us as well. They make quick decisions when presented with options and are walking a smart line between cost and quality.

We do try and outline our likely design costs on our website, it is the most common question people have about hiring an architect: http://www.kaplanthompson.com/qa-what-we-do.php

As Matthew said, there are a great number of talented designers in our area of all levels of service and expertise. In my opinion, one of the best places to find them is at Maine Green Building building science discussion group, they generally meet on the second Tuesday of each month. You should be able to make contact with a whole range of designers and builders there if want more options for your project: http://mainegreenbuilding.com

Answered by Jesse Thompson
Posted Wed, 07/02/2014 - 14:07

Helpful? 0

Possibly Thomas Peterson at Solar design and construction in Portland . Been around a long time and knows how to get it done .

Answered by Richard McGrath
Posted Wed, 07/02/2014 - 23:35

Other Questions in General questions

Radon mitigation or ERV for old home with dirt wall basement?

In General questions | Asked by Scott Van Der Veer | Oct 30, 14

Foam insulation question for 100-year-old brick home

In Green building techniques | Asked by Wes Leland | Oct 30, 14

Minimum R-values for exterior foam for 2x6 walls

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Craig Steinman | Oct 30, 14

Closed crawlspace with dehumidifier and foundation insulation

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Michael Geoghegan | Oct 27, 14

Roxul comfort board in basement?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Nyle Phillips | Sep 27, 12
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!