Looking for someone to design/build an energy-efficient home in Maine

I've contacted a few energy-efficient home designers/builders in the Cumberland County, Maine area to design/build a home for my family but they are backlogged with work for 6 mos-1 yr.

Can someone make some recommendations of quality energy-efficient home designers near Cumberland County, Maine and also quality builders of energy-efficient homes near Cumberland County, Maine?

Asked by escyr
Posted Jun 20, 2014 11:16 AM ET
Edited Jun 20, 2014 11:56 AM ET

1.

I'm currently working with Jesse Thompson and Jamie Broadbent of Kaplan Thompson architects in Portland. Theyre' designing a highly energy efficient home for us in Lincoln county. You might give one of them a call. They have been a pleasure to work with.
Keep in mind that the design process will take a while if you want to get it right.

Answered by smslaw47
Posted Jun 20, 2014 2:59 PM ET

2.

Thanks Stephen. Can you share what the costs are for their services?

Answered by escyr
Posted Jul 2, 2014 6:37 AM ET

3.

You should call them.

Answered by smslaw47
Posted Jul 2, 2014 9:52 AM ET

4.

Eric, I would have assumed KTA was your first call. Jesse is remarkable but I would expect they won't fit such a quick pace. We can help you. You can reach me at matt@cardinalpointme.com and I will get you our references, discuss pricing, and compare notes on your potential builder selection.

Happy to see you doing the due diligence here. A pro membership is worth every penny.

Answered by user-940291
Posted Jul 2, 2014 11:55 AM ET

5.

Eric,

Sorry for not noticing this earlier. Thanks for the kind words, Stephen! If anyone wants a test case of an ideal client, it might be Stephen & his wife, they've been a pleasure to work with for us as well. They make quick decisions when presented with options and are walking a smart line between cost and quality.

We do try and outline our likely design costs on our website, it is the most common question people have about hiring an architect: http://www.kaplanthompson.com/qa-what-we-do.php

As Matthew said, there are a great number of talented designers in our area of all levels of service and expertise. In my opinion, one of the best places to find them is at Maine Green Building building science discussion group, they generally meet on the second Tuesday of each month. You should be able to make contact with a whole range of designers and builders there if want more options for your project: http://mainegreenbuilding.com

Answered by KTA
Posted Jul 2, 2014 1:07 PM ET

6.

Possibly Thomas Peterson at Solar design and construction in Portland . Been around a long time and knows how to get it done .

Answered by Rich Mc
Posted Jul 2, 2014 10:35 PM ET