GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Summer in Vermont

Martin Holladay | Posted in General Questions on

We’ve been having a beautiful stretch of weather recently in Vermont. To mark this joyful season, I decided to post a couple of items that have no connection whatsoever to energy efficiency or green construction — simply to celebrate the recent solstice.

I hope everyone has been getting some good weather recently.

First, here is a recent video from the automatic wildlife camera on our land:

Second, here is a photo of a raised bed in my vegetable garden.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-757117 | | #1

Martin,
    Your garden is certainly much further along than mine - we had the slowest start to the growing season I've ever seen.

After the snow had finally melted away at the end of April, the earth was a quagmire until the middle of May.
    And by the time the earth had drained and dried I discovered while digging that there was still frost in the ground a foot below the surface!
    We had some things started indoors, but we didn't actually sow any seed outdoors until after the first week on June.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Lucas,
    I was able to till my garden in the middle of May. The raised bed in the photo was planted during the third week in May. The spinach and some of the lettuce in the photo was direct-seeded then; the other plants in the photo -- shallots, broccoli, lettuce, and parsley -- were transplants from the greenhouse.

3. user-757117 | | #3

Martin,
    Are those 4x4's that make up the sides of your raised beds cedar?

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Lucas,
    I built the beds 22 years ago out of cheap landscape ties. I probably wouldn't use them if I did it again. I don't think that they had a high level of preservatives, since they started rotting fairly quickly. Still, not a great idea for an organic garden.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |