Summer in Vermont

We've been having a beautiful stretch of weather recently in Vermont. To mark this joyful season, I decided to post a couple of items that have no connection whatsoever to energy efficiency or green construction -- simply to celebrate the recent solstice.

I hope everyone has been getting some good weather recently.

First, here is a recent video from the automatic wildlife camera on our land:

Second, here is a photo of a raised bed in my vegetable garden.

.

Raised bed 2.jpg944.62 KB
Asked by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Edited Mon, 06/23/2014 - 10:27

1.

Your garden is certainly much further along than mine - we had the slowest start to the growing season I've ever seen.

After the snow had finally melted away at the end of April, the earth was a quagmire until the middle of May.
And by the time the earth had drained and dried I discovered while digging that there was still frost in the ground a foot below the surface!
We had some things started indoors, but we didn't actually sow any seed outdoors until after the first week on June.

Answered by Lucas Durand - 7A

2.

Lucas,
I was able to till my garden in the middle of May. The raised bed in the photo was planted during the third week in May. The spinach and some of the lettuce in the photo was direct-seeded then; the other plants in the photo -- shallots, broccoli, lettuce, and parsley -- were transplants from the greenhouse.

3.

Are those 4x4's that make up the sides of your raised beds cedar?

Answered by Lucas Durand - 7A

4.

Lucas,
I built the beds 22 years ago out of cheap landscape ties. I probably wouldn't use them if I did it again. I don't think that they had a high level of preservatives, since they started rotting fairly quickly. Still, not a great idea for an organic garden.