Transition from REMOTE house to batt insulated garage on same plane

I am trying to figure out how to frame the transition from house to garage on a new construction home with REMOTE walls on the house, and batt insulation in the garage. I would like siding to continue on one plane across this transition. I did my best to draw a detail of my plan, which should be attached. A basic description of key components is:

House sheathing is wrapped in bituthane or drainwrap, which is continuous around the corner and between the living and garage space.

Asked By Jim Tyler | Oct 7 15

R-values - are they different depending on direction of heat flow?

I have a contractor claiming that their reflective insulation (alarm bells, I know!) has a different R-value for downward heat flow than upward heat flow. Is that possible?

The material is intended to be installed under the roof shingles. I spoke to the manufacturer and he assured me that the reflective property doesn't work when in contact with asphalt shingles, but that the product has an acceptable R-value for "downward heat flow" to be eligible.

Asked By Whitney Larsen | Oct 5 15

Mini-split + heat pump water heater OR geothermal cool/heat + water heating?

Dear All,
I have read a number of articles on this forum and most seem to favor ductless mini-splits over geothermal. I believe peopel have said performance may be neck and neck while up front costs probably favor the mini-split.

However, what happens when water heating enters the equation? Some background:

Asked By Gina Jasso | Oct 4 15

Anyone have experience with Chilltrix equipment?

A client has asked me to evaluation Chilltrix HVAC systems:http://www.chiltrix.com/small-chiller-home.html.

It appears to be an inverter driven mini split style system that uses a chiller rather than a condenser. I am assuming that it uses and expels significant amounts of water as it does not use a refrigerant, but their documentation is not very specific.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Asked By Carl | Oct 4 15

Ceiling insulation

Have several questions.

1. I found a lot of rigid foam (2.5 inch) in the ceiling which is laid over the cellulose insulation. I thought that the moisture will be kept under the foam. Do I need to take off all the rigid foam? or just leave it?

Asked By Ben Yoon | Sep 28 15

Vapor barrier on DIY walk-in cooler?

Hello, I need someone to answer a simple question for. I have searched the web and gotten conflicting answers.

I'm building a 15X20 walk-cooler that will be kept between 35-40 degrees F. This is for storing poultry eggs on a egg production farm in Milton Freewater, Oregon. (NE Oregon)

Three walls will be inside the larger barn structure, which will be kept between 60-80 degrees F, the fourth cooler wall is formed by the exterior barn wall, facing west.

The design completed so far is as follows;

Asked By Mahlon | Oct 4 15

Can I put Roxul over Sheetrock on the interior?

I was planning on creating a built in window seat/bed in a bonus room over the garage. We just purchased the house and I am guessing It's likely one of the coldest parts of the house in the winter. It's just above the garage doors. Likely has little insulation in the floor, vaulted ceiling so probably R13 at best. The house was built in 1991 +/-.

Asked By Andrew | Oct 3 15

Cor a vent rainscreen products

What's your thoughts on coravent SV3,Sturdy Strip,and Sturdy Starter?

Asked By Quinton Bryant | Oct 7 15

Wood burning stove below - what to do?

I live in an 1883 2-story farmhouse that was converted into 5 small condos in 1983 complete with wood burning stoves. Four of the units have had the stoves removed. The unit below me still has it and I swear smoke comes into my place when they use it. City allows except for occasional Action Days of no burning. I told the unit owner but she is out of town so I can't call her to come in and see for herself.
What would you do? Is there a way for me to test for smoke particulate? Picture attached -

Asked By Mary Schwaba | Oct 6 15

Sidewall installation of dense-packed cellulose -- Many cavities are full of scrap drywall

Hi everyone,

I had posted this on the HomeImprovement subreddit, and was directed this way.

Anyone out there have any experience with retrofitting dense pack cellulose?

I've got a 66 brick ranch home with no insulation in the walls. I'm preparing to remedy that this week. I picked up my 1200 pounds of cellulose over the weekend and I've got a reservation for an Intec Force 2 blower.

Asked By Brandon McWilliams | Oct 5 15