How far should poly run up the edge of a monolithic slab on grade?

How far should polyurethane run up the edge of a monolithic slab on grade? If it doesn't run all the way up (as I've seen in some details), should the edge be painted with damp-proofing?

--John

Asked By John Ranson | Aug 21 16

Polyiso in bonus room

I'm starting the process of finishing my upstairs I'm located in piedmont of north Carolina. My house is 5 years old I have soffit and Ridge vents 1 dormer simple roof line 2x6 rafters . I found a deal on Craigslist for polyiso the problem is its foIL faced on both sides . My plan was to cut and cobble 3.5" pieces between rafters flush to interior of rafters leaving a 2 inch gap from soffit to Ridge vent then install 3 " polyiso on inside of rafters to adress thermal bridging then 1x3 nailers for sheet rock. Is this a sound plan?

Asked By Eric Teer | Sep 24 16

Could a heat pump unit be used to heat a crawl space that's is closed in?

I'm thinking about having a heat pump system added to my mobile home. The home is about 1500 sq. ft., with a crawl space about 3 1/2 ft from slab to bottom of the mobile home.
This would help heat the floor above and allow me from leaving my home unoccupied for a time during the winter and only have the heaters keep temps around 56.
Well above 35 degrees.

Could this be done?

Asked By Leonard Klinger | Sep 25 16

Supplier for small registers and boots for ducted mini split?

Hi all,

I have a completed manual J, S, D, & T. Now I have to find the different parts an pieces.

Because of the small loads in the house, the ducts and fittings are smaller than what I see in stock at the local big box suppliers. For example, I need 4x4 and 4x6 duct boots and register grilles. Where can I find those size fittings?

Asked By Clay Whitenack | Sep 26 16

Following up on the musty smell in our crawl space

Editor's note: This is a follow-up to a previous thread on GBA. The previous thread was Why do I have a musty mildew type smell in my conditioned crawl space?

Asked By Linda Larochelle | Aug 26 16

Condensation on plexiglass?

Hi,

In fall-winter-spring, I have lots of condensation on my double-pane windows. After reading multiple sources on the Internet stating that condensation does not form on acrylic, I fastened a plexiglass sheet on a window to test. I lowered the double-cell cellular shades for the night.

This morning, I realized that the test failed - there was fogging on the bottom part (but no droplets). I guess I read the wrong sources or I did something wrong.

Which one is it?

Thanks for your help!

Asked By Marc Delisle | Sep 25 16

ZIP system R-sheathing on a Roof

I'm looking for a poor-man's alternative to thick polyiso on a roof and was wondering why ZIP system R-sheathing is not "allowed" to be on a roof? From Huber's web site:

"Zip System R‐Sheathing is currently limited to wood‐framed wall applications only. DO NOT use roofs or light gauge metal framing. For systems requiring multiple layers of water‐resistive barriers, ZIP System R‐Sheathing is intended to replace only the first."

My roof is extremely unique and you will all probably roll your eyes, but here we go:

1. My Roof is vented with baffles

Asked By Christiaan Lutzer | Sep 20 16

How much are mini-splits really affected by altitude?

Hello -

I'm sizing a heat pump mini-split for my 20x20 garage, which has been pretty well air sealed and insulated with closed cell foam. I've had a series of installers out and the recommendations were all over the place, ranging from 12k to 18k BTU, and from $3k to $12k.

Two of the companies actually bothered to do a load calculation, and I tried it online as well - but those numbers had a broad range, too.

Asked By Dave H | Sep 22 16

Low-e? "Do not scrape glass."

I just installed some high end french doors that came with a sticker warning 'DO NOT SCRAPE GLASS". Does anyone know anything about this? Is it some new kind of low E film, have there been long term problems with scraping low E glass?

Asked By William Goodwin | Sep 24 16

Mooney floor

I want to put insulation on top of a concrete floor.
A layer of foam + plywood bolted to the concrete has been suggested. (By Dana I think)
While that looks an good option I've been exploring more low cost options.

What about a Mooney wall, flooring variation.
Thinking about 2x4 + 2x4, filled with blown in cellulose. Likely GreenFiber or InsulMax.

Is that a good alternative?

Asked By Tony Tibbar | Aug 6 16