Heat runs to unfinished basement? Pacific NW area

I realize the basement is considered part of the conditioned space, but I was a little startled at an HVAC guy proposing to cut heat runs into the basement (which we do not plan ever to finish). It's a 1901 basement with concrete walls to ground height and wood joists above that. Previous owners had put fiberglass insulation in the joists, which was a really bad idea as one can see from old water stains. That's long gone, but when we first lived in the house we used to get water coming up through the floor drain during storms (no leaks through the walls that I am aware of).

Asked By Irene3 | Apr 20 18

Is this a vapor-permeable air barrier?

1960's home... wall construction is as shown, with face brick on the back side. Silver faced material is thin (maybe 1/8" thick).

I did not notice originally, but in good light, once can see what may be perforations in the surface.

Does anyone recognize if this is a vapor permeable sheathing material?

Asked By Rossn1 | Apr 21 18

Can stone veneer be applied to polyiso foam board?

We are building a new home, our forever home. We are adding 1 inch, Polyiso foam board, foil backed on both sides to the exterior of the home under the siding. We want stone veneer on the bottom of the house up to the windows. Can stone veneer be applied to the Polyiso foam board? Thank you so much for any and all of your advice and suggestions!

Asked By Bubba52me | Apr 24 18

Heated bath floor - system and flooring?

Is there any metric by which to measure the efficiency of electrically heated bath floors? Is there any system that if preferable to others? What about the Schluter Ditra system? If you have one, would you do it again? If so, what would you change about how it is installed?

Asked By c l | Apr 23 18

Need to replace clothes dryer - what technology?

My wife informs me that our electric clothes dryer is nearly kaput. Should I replace it with the same kind?... as I understand the technology hasn't changed in years. I also hear of newfangled tech like condensing (ductless) dryers, heat pump dryers, and of course gas dryers.

What is a efficiency / cost savings / payback period of these alternatives? We live in New Hampshire, so heating-dominant climate. Electricity costs me $0.17/kWh, propane is currently going for $1.90. Would probably cost $200 to bring a line over to that side of the basement.

Asked By Tyler Davis | Apr 21 18

Details for 4-foot-wide brow roof?

CZ6A, 45 degrees Lat., Ottawa ON

Finishing up the details of our new build. I'm going over my plans with my Engineer and he has concerns about the integrity of my brow roof design. Specifically, he's worried about snow load and sag (creep) over time. This is for the south facing wall and its large windows.

Do any of the builders here have experience with design details for a 4ft deep brow roof on a flat two story wall?

Asked By Lance Peters | Apr 22 18

I've been following this site ever since our very uninformed decision to purchase a 1 1/2 story house

Good morning All!
First of all, many thanks for the invaluable information and advice....been following this site ever since our very uninformed decision to purchase a 1 1/2 story house in Twin Cities, MN. If only we knew.... Paying dearly for it but ig...

I have the impending siding job so adding the gables would be quite easy at this point

Asked By MN2008 | Apr 23 18

Can Housewrap 'melt' under steel siding?

I am installing metal siding on a new construction Home and planned on installing Hydrogap by Benjamin Obdyke underneath. The siding contractor has expressed concern that the paper or the dimples on it may melt.
Has anyone ever experienced housewrap 'melting' from the suns heat.

Asked By user-7015584 | Apr 22 18

Painting old wood siding?

I'm looking to remove the vinyl siding from my house and either paint the old wood clapboard siding or remove it and replace with it LP, Hardie, or cedar - or maybe Boral polyash. Still doing the research on which siding to use. I've removed a small section of vinyl and the old siding is in pretty good shape but I've been told I'll regret leaving the old wood because paint will never stick to it. Blown in cellulose has been installed directly behind the clapboards and I've heard that also reduces the life of the paint. Thoughts?

Asked By Michael Mohr | Nov 28 17

Heat-pump water heater in Canada?

I live in Nova Scotia in zone 6B. We're thinking of installing a heat pump hot water heater (my husband would do it himself) and not sure of how efficient it would be. We just bought the house, and the inspector told us (he used an infrared camera) that the house is well insulated. It was a Kent Home built in 1986; a split entry. We are going to have someone install a mini-split ductless heat pump in the living room upstairs. The rest of the house is heated by baseboard heaters. We pay 14.8 cents per kwh (no time of day billing).

Asked By Sarah Poulin | Jan 25 16