Raised-heel trusses can be annoying

We installed raised-heel trusses with bottom chord overhangs on our house. The top of the top chord is 20" above our top plate. According to the 2012 International Residential Code for seismic zones or zones designated for winds of 100 mph, raised heel trusses more than 15.25" have to be blocked and braced.

Asked By Jimmy Nguyen | Feb 6 16

How to fix shoddy garage addition?

This past summer I bought a house in SE Michigan (Zone 5a) that was built in 1978; we had an energy audit done and the auditor alerted me to a host of issues included that when they built out into the garage to expand the kitchen & laundry room they left the top of the walls and ceiling open to the unheated garage.

My question is what is the best way to go about fixing this issue from a cost standpoint. I'm concerned if I just seal the top off the wall with XPS & Great Stuff that condensation will collect since there will be colder air inside the wall from the uninstalled garage.

Asked By Patrick B | Feb 6 16

Fireplace insert or glass doors + outside air intake?

I have a rather large fireplace that can clear the house of all heat, so I am never really using it. Would be nice to make it functional source of heat and have it as a backup for those times in winter we lose power or when minisplits can't cover entire heating load.

Question: do I have to go the expensive fireplace insert + outside air supply route, or going with the proper glass doors + outside air supply would give me good return on investment?

Asked By Apollo S | Feb 6 16

Best way to fix insulation problem in cathedral ceiling? Please help!

I built my chalet about 8 yrs ago and was up in the attic and noticed black water stains (probably mold).
after many days and night researching what was wrong, i believe my issue is insulation and air leakage.
i have called all the insulation and roofing businesses (not many in this area) and each says its the others issue.

this site has been the most informative, but i cant seem to find any article or videos on how to add or change insulation in a cathedral ceiling after construction has been done.

Asked By Aaron H | Jan 31 16

Concrete sealer needed before finishing basement?

I live in a home in Zone 5a that was built in 1978 with a poured concrete basement, our house sits relatively high with ground sloping away from the foundation. We are planning on finishing out basement it with XPS and then metal framing/drywall.

Asked By Patrick B | Feb 6 16

Geothermal and SDHV in new ICF home

We are in the process of building a new home in Climate Zone 5. It is an ICF [insulated concrete form] construction from basement foundation to gable.

I am intending to use a SDHV [small duct, high velocity] system for forced air and heating in conjunction with a closed loop ground source heat pump.

What I am trying to understand is the impact to efficiency caused by my desire for SDHV on the heat pump options side of life.

Asked By Esteban Carlos | Feb 4 16

I have a crawl space with cold joints that are inadequately sealed and ooze water. How can I seal them?

I would like to do it healthfully and effectively so I don't have to be concerned about water intrusion in the future.

Asked By Kevin Krafft | Feb 7 16

Not sure what's going on with this foundation...

This is not my house so questions will take a bit to ask the owner and post, but as i understand it its a century old house near Toronto Ontario, the original basement was concrete but only about half way down, (shown by the hard to see cantilevered foundation) but the basement was dug out to full height and the CMU was installed inside of the original foundation.
The question is what is causing the cracking (is the house shifting, rising or the foundation falling) and how best to deal with it?

Asked By Alan B | Feb 6 16

Does plywood flooring have to be removed before adding insulation?

My attic currently has a settled 8" of blow in insulation. I am adding more batts at an R-30 value. Previous owners installed plywood on joists for storage and nailed it every 6". Can the batts I'm addind be placed over plywood or must it be removed?

Asked By Dan Dadario | Feb 6 16

Final advice on insulating a basement correctly

Hi I’ve read the great articles here on how to insulate the basement correctly - I just want to make sure I'm going to do the work right and I trust the folks at GBA

Overview

• Southern exposure home – south has 2x6 pt walls with a few windows and doors (basement level)
• North has an 8ft concrete wall that behaves like a huge cooler – it also has a 24inch 2x6 pt wall on top of that, so the basement ceiling height is 10ft.
• In the worst heat in summer 90 degrees + the basement is extremely cool with the windows closed – just like air conditioning

Asked By Robert Metelsky | Aug 4 15