GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

I applied rigid form insulation to the inside surface of the existing sheetrock in a bedroom

RoMela | Posted in General Questions on

Prior to placing the insulation, I glued heavy fabric to the front to give it an aesthetic balance with the bedroom.

My concern: Will the form board out-gas causing harm to the occupants?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Robert,
    Q. "Will the form board out-gas causing harm to the occupants?"

A. Probably not, but the rigid foam is definitely a fire hazard and a code violation. Building codes require rigid foam to be protected on the interior by a so-called thermal barrier equivalent in performance to 1/2-inch drywall.

In almost all cases, the easiest material to use for this purpose is 1/2-inch drywall, so that is what you should install to cover your rigid foam.

2. RoMela | | #2

Oh! I see your point and much appreciated. I feel compeled to remove from the one wall since my 17 year old occupies the bedroom. Thanks for the quick response.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |