GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Siding failure issue, climate zone 5B / 6B, north central Colorado.

111JAS111 | Posted in General Questions on

22 year old home, T1-11 wood siding failing (cupping, delaminating, peeling away). T1-11 is siding over 1/2″ blueboard over 2 X 4 framing (16″ o.c.), with blown-in cellulose insulation, 1/2″ sheetrock inside. Can I cut out damaged sections of siding, patch back in with OSB or 1 by roughsawn, then 15# roofing felt, then corrugated metal low and traditional stucco above? Dry, windy climate, intense sun, low interior humidity, limited budget. Any thoughts / suggestions? Thanks in advance.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. kevin_in_denver | | #1

It sounds like a good plan. You're using the repaired T-111 as the sheathing, and adding a good rainscreen. Just make sure the T-111 is at least 6" above grade everywhere, and install a z-flashing strip at the stucco/metal joint that will kick out any water running behind the stucco.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Joe,
    I assume that the T-111 is about 5/8 inch thick. If I'm right, you can't patch the damaged T-111 with 1-inch rough-sawn boards. You have to patch it with 5/8-inch exterior plywood or more T-111.

If you want your wall to perform well, you want to pay attention to airtightness when making your repairs. If possible, seal all seams between the T-111 panels and the repaired areas with a high quality tape like Siga Wigluv.

I understand that you have a limited budget, but you should still know that stucco can be a tricky cladding to install. For more information on potential stucco problems, see To Install Stucco Right, Include an Air Gap.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |