Siding failure issue, climate zone 5B / 6B, north central Colorado.

22 year old home, T1-11 wood siding failing (cupping, delaminating, peeling away). T1-11 is siding over 1/2" blueboard over 2 X 4 framing (16" o.c.), with blown-in cellulose insulation, 1/2" sheetrock inside. Can I cut out damaged sections of siding, patch back in with OSB or 1 by roughsawn, then 15# roofing felt, then corrugated metal low and traditional stucco above? Dry, windy climate, intense sun, low interior humidity, limited budget. Any thoughts / suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Asked by Joe Sweeney
Posted Jul 11, 2014 5:18 PM ET

It sounds like a good plan. You're using the repaired T-111 as the sheathing, and adding a good rainscreen. Just make sure the T-111 is at least 6" above grade everywhere, and install a z-flashing strip at the stucco/metal joint that will kick out any water running behind the stucco.

Answered by Kevin Dickson, MSME
Posted Jul 12, 2014 2:48 AM ET

I assume that the T-111 is about 5/8 inch thick. If I'm right, you can't patch the damaged T-111 with 1-inch rough-sawn boards. You have to patch it with 5/8-inch exterior plywood or more T-111.

If you want your wall to perform well, you want to pay attention to airtightness when making your repairs. If possible, seal all seams between the T-111 panels and the repaired areas with a high quality tape like Siga Wigluv.

I understand that you have a limited budget, but you should still know that stucco can be a tricky cladding to install. For more information on potential stucco problems, see To Install Stucco Right, Include an Air Gap.

Posted Jul 12, 2014 5:54 AM ET