GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How to attach XPS insulation to a wall that is partly covered with dimpled Delta MS?

John_3333 | Posted in General Questions on

I want to properly insulate a basement wall to which dimpled Delta MS has been attached up to grade level, as part of installation of interior weeping tile/sump pump installation.
How should I adhere xps or eps insulation to this wall, since the dimpled Delta is not exactly even with the concrete on the exposed part of the wall above it?
Or is it necessary to buy more Delta to go all the way to the top of the wall?
In either case, what is the best way to attach the insulation?
(I intend to frame a wall later in front of this insulation.)

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

John,
    So, we're talking about dimple mat on the interior side of a basement wall. Right?

Before answering your question about attaching the foam, you have to tell us how you intend to finish the wall. Presumably, you need a code-required thermal barrier (usually 1/2-inch drywall) on the interior side of the foam. So will you be putting up a 2x4 stud wall to hold the drywall and wiring?

2. John_3333 | | #2

Yes, I'm talking about dimple mat on the interior side of the basement wall. (I will attach a photo).
    I intend to put up 1/2 inch drywall on the interior side of the foam, on a 2x4 stud wall (or perhaps it would be possible to use 2x2 studs, with armored cable wiring passing through them).
    I also am attempting to find out if Dow's Thermax sheathing (Iso) is available where I am (near Toronto, Ontario, Canada), in which case I might use this, if the local code would allow it to remain uncovered or just covered with panelling attached to a stud wall on the interior side of the foam; this would make things easier to get at in case of any future problems inside the wall.
    In either case, I want to use the best method possible to attach the foam to the wall, part of which is covered with dimple mat and part of which is bare concrete. (See photo)

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

John,
    On the above-grade portion of your wall, attach more dimple-mat to make the wall co-planar; or use any type of durable shim of the same thickness. Install your rigid foam, and hold the foam in place with your studs.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |