GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Precast concrete basement walls

pnicholls | Posted in General Questions on

We are in the planning phase of a passive house near Louisville, Ky. The site is a South facing hill with a great view of fields, trees and a creek. We plan on a walkout basement under a 2300 square foot home. I am concerned about moisture through the wall of the basement. Some precast concrete wall providers guarantee water tight walls with insulation on the inside. If they are used what precautions should be taken relative to the floors and vapor pressure to the inside? I presume the vapor barrier would run under the wall and over the insulation of the floor directly under the concrete floor. Thanks PJN

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Paul,
    Q. "If they are used what precautions should be taken relative to the floors and vapor pressure to the inside?"

A. I'm not sure whether I understand your question. Concerning "precautions relative to the floors," the floor slab should be designed like any other floor slab. The best basement floor slabs include a continuous horizontal layer of rigid foam insulation under the slab, and also include a crushed stone layer connected to a passive radon mitigation system. If these concepts are new to you, you might want to read these articles:

Polyethylene Under Concrete Slabs

All About Radon

Concerning the second half of your question -- "What precautions should be taken relative to the vapor pressure to the inside?" -- I'm not sure what you mean. Are you worried about vapor diffusion from the damp soil to the interior of your home through your basement walls and basement slab?

If that's what you are worried about, the details to control vapor diffusion are simple. For your slab, you should include a layer of polyethylene directly under the concrete; that controls vapor diffusion.

For your walls, you should include a continuous layer of rigid foam insulation or closed-cell spray foam insulation. Either of these products will do a good job of controlling vapor diffusion. For more information, see How to Insulate a Basement Wall.

2. pnicholls | | #2

To clarify my question. A provider of precast concrete walls to be used in a basement claims the wall to be water tight. Does that mean I don't have to worry about capillary action? I don't have to have a vapor barrier for the wall? Dan I treat it like an insulated wall above ground with an air tight barrier like a Zip wall? Thanks PJN

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Paul,
    Even if the precast concrete wall is watertight, that doesn't mean that it is vapor-impermeable.

Every basement wall needs insulation. Your choices include rigid foam insulation and closed-cell spray foam insulation (either on the interior or the exterior of the wall).

If you include foam insulation, and you should, the foam is your vapor retarder.

4. pnicholls | | #4

I presume from your response that I would run the poly vapor barrier from the outside of the precast wall underneath it and up above the insulation under the floor and thus just beneath the concrete floor. Thanks for your thoughts. PJN

5. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #5

Paul,
    Your precast concrete wall does not need a polyethylene vapor barrier.

I advise you instead to install rigid foam or spray foam insulation on either the interior or exterior side of your concrete wall; the foam acts both as insulation and a vapor retarder.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |