Helpful? 0

How do I figure the size of an air conditioner and a gas furnace for a mobile home?

I am having a new outside air conditioner and a new 2 stage gas furnace put in. My mobile home is from about 1977. It has 1440 sq. ft., floor (out flow vents) & ceiling in flow vents. The present duct work is inaccessible. There is an old 4 ton elec. A/C unit and an old - maybe 100,00 BTU gas furnace. Neither one is efficient. My place is probably not very air tight Don't know about the insulation. I think I live in zone 3C (about 2+ hours N. of San Francisco on Hwy 101; About 60 miles inland from the coast-Ukiah.) Should I replace the A/C with a 13 SEER 4 ton model and a 2 stage, 95%, variable speed 88,000 BTU gas furnace? Do I need a 4 Ton A/C unit? What about the furnace?

Asked by JOANN CORTINA
Posted Tue, 07/22/2014 - 23:35
Edited Wed, 07/23/2014 - 05:38

Tags:

1 Answer

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

Joann,
To size a furnace and an air conditioner for a mobile home, an HVAC contractor should follow the same steps necessary to size equipment for a regular home. The contractor (or an energy consultant) needs to perform a heating load calculation and a cooling load calculation; the method usually used to do this is called the Manual J method.

This steps should be a routine part of every HVAC contractor's job. Unfortunately, many HVAC contractors don't know how to perform Manual J calculations.

For more information on these issues, see:

Saving Energy With Manual J and Manual D

How to Perform a Heat-Loss Calculation — Part 1

How to Perform a Heat-Loss Calculation — Part 2

Calculating Cooling Loads

Two other points worth mentioning:

1. Your existing equipment is almost undoubtedly oversized.

2. It may make more sense to install 2 new ductless minisplit units in your mobile home rather than a new furnace and a new central air conditioner.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Wed, 07/23/2014 - 06:26

Other Questions in General questions

Oil filled heaters

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Tim Young | Oct 25, 14

Thermostats with radiant floor heating

In Mechanicals | Asked by Mike Legge | Oct 12, 11

Calculating how much air needed to even out temps for minisplit

In Mechanicals | Asked by Tom Frisch | Oct 23, 14

How do deviations in average winter temperature affect energy consumption?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by norm farwell | Oct 24, 14

Flat roof insulation

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Angela M | Nov 22, 13
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!