Attic fans with a hip roof

Sorry if you think I didn't understand your very clear article --- my mistake, since I did not mention that my roof is a "hip" roof and I heard that could make a difference since ridge ventilation may not function with a hip roof. I'm thinking that my four passive vents along with the natural vents created by two non-working attic fans may be enough? Just wanted an opinion re a 73x31 hip roof.

Thanks,Dan

I live on Long Island in NY state close to the ocean and have two fans in my attic -- they have been there since I bought the house and I have already replaced them once BUT after reading your 10/12 article re these fans, I'm wondering if I should disconnect them. My attic floor is insulated with blown in cellulose and I have soffit vents and four normal passive vents already in the roof. I do have my air-handler in the attic along with soft duct work to various top floor A/C outlets. My home is 73' x 31'

It makes sense to me that these fans are drawing my air conditioned cool air into the attic but I was concerned that I could cause damage to something if I disconnected?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Asked by Dan Donovan