hot water recirc loop with pex homerun system

Has anyone played with the idea of doing a hot water recirculation loop with a pex manifold homerun system?

My desire for a recirc loop is mostly inspired by Gary Klein and my reading/watching of his work. Although he doesn't recommend a home run system because you can't recirculate hot water.... well, I think it might be possible. Maybe I'll sound crazy here, but what can I say, I love systems design.

I see this as 2 issues:

1. Is it doable?

Asked By Jamie B | Feb 17 18

Crawlspace Beam Layout

Hi Friends,

Long time reader, first time poster. I'm looking for some feedback on my plans on fixing some floor bounce/sag.

House layout is pretty simple, 62x32 with one corner consisting of a 20x20 slab garage. Floor Joists are 2x10s, spaced 16" on center. They span almost 16'. The house has long been neglected, and the crawl was filled with moisture for years. Poor landscape drainage, washing machine leak, and a dryer vented to the crawlspace led to sagging floor joists and a main beam with rotten ends. Plus plenty of mold.

Asked By alexallo | Feb 16 18

ERV vs fresh air intake

So my HVAC design is looking like I will do a fancoil on each floor.

I'm seriously considering going with an air-to-water chiller for the outdoor unit and a spacepak aircell on each floor, 4 in total.

These units have a 4" round fresh air port that you can program a percentage of fresh air.

Asked By Jamie B | Feb 17 18

Insulating Raised Slab

Alright, so here’s one that I can’t find in the great treasure troves of this site: how to handle insulating my raised slab on our new house. Quick details on the project: climate zone 6, 3500sqft, two story, zip-r external insulation/sheeting (R6), fiberglass batts in 2x6 walls, combination vented roof w/ R60 cellulose and unvented roof with R50 foam, low U 4th surface fiberglass windows, and a combination of slab on grade and vented crawl w/ R48 foam. The concrete will be polished as finish floor in slab areas. Heating is entirely mini-split, no in floor radiant.

Asked By user-6804212 | Feb 17 18

Slab on Grade in Climate Zone 6

Hey all,

So watching a bunch of Matt Risinger, he's always talking about slab on grade builds, and how we have basements in the far north etc. I know these topics have been brought up before.

I'm in Climate zone 6, Toronto. I'm designing a 100sqft satellite building, or you could call it a shed with all the bells and whistles of plumbing, elec, heating etc.

I'd like to do a frost protected slab on grade for this to incorporate infloor radiant hydronic heating. The slab will essentially act as the radiator, and be the base for the Insulated perimeter wood stud walls.

Asked By Jamie B | Feb 17 18

Any recommendations for financing an off-grid house in Canada?

I have my heart set on an off-grid house in Ontario, Canada. I thought it would be a relatively easy purchase but every mortgage broker that has looked into it has come back saying that the bank will not finance an off grid house. I don't know if it's worth it to try again but that means multiple credit checks which is not the best either.

Can anyone recommend anyone in Canada that could help? Time is of the essence! Any advice extremely appreciated!

Asked By Laura Mandy | Feb 16 18

Radon system design with drain tile to daylight

We are in the process of remodeling our basement and will be pouring a new concrete slab. The house was built in the 1940’s and sits on very dense clay soil. The old concrete has just been removed and we’ve dug down 4” below the top of the footings so that 2” of stone can be placed followed by 2” of EPS, a poly vapor barrier and new concrete. A one year radon test was completed two weeks ago and the average value was 6.6 pCi/l (test completed with all old concrete in place); we will be installing a radon vent prior to pouring the new slab.

Asked By Andy Freeman | Feb 16 18

Are 48" Baseboard Diffusers necessary?

Doing flooring and have pulled out the baseboard diffusers from 1959 house. They are 48" long but the hole in the floor is only 2" x 12". Can I replace with a smaller size or is the 48" length helping to spread the warm air around the room? Note that there are 2 of the 48" diffusers along the same wall in the 14' x 17.5' living room.

Thanks in advance!

Asked By MollyV | Feb 12 18

Laminate my 2 x 4‘s with another 2 inches or more insulation?

I have a table saw and can rip all day long, plus I have the time, so I was thinking of upping the exterior insulation thickness.
I am insulating the exterior wall in my laundry room plus the framed area above the finder block wall in the corner of my basement that is above ground.
Between the Roxul and the drywall I am putting into those exterior walls I am planning to use Membrain vapor barrier, with staples and acoustic sealant of course. The laundry room is on a slab in my large 50’s split-level home.

Asked By JakeNY | Feb 16 18