Self-leveling compound

Hi there, I laid some engineered wood flooring on concrete with Mapei Ultraplan M20 self-leveling compound over a week ago. The bags said zero VOC premixed.

There was an awful sweet/fruity chemical smell when I mixed it. I called Mapei and they said it would go away when dry.

However, the smell is still here. I would have thought the underlayment (AirGuard Roberts 3-in-1) would cut the smell but it's bad.

I need to level plywood subfloors upstairs to finish this job and wondering if anyone can recommend an equivalent product that doesn't stink.

And, can anyone tell me what this smell is and whether it's toxic to my family, babies crawling on the floor?
Thanks so much!

Asked by Brooke Beloso
Posted Aug 8, 2014 11:10 AM ET
Edited Aug 8, 2014 2:26 PM ET

I've used it a lot and never noticed any smell at all.

Answered by Kevin Dickson, MSME
Posted Aug 12, 2014 2:36 PM ET

I install these products from time to time. Mapei products do off gas a latex odor until cured and it does go away. Usually within the curing time. Their mortars and grouts also have an after installation odor which also dissipate rather quickly after installation. Proper ventilation should be used to remove the odor. The odor is non-detectable after the cure time. I tried to locate the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for you, but it's not readily available.

Product sheet.... http://www.mapei.com/public/US/products/UltraplanM20Plus3_TDS_EA.pdf

Answered by Richard Beyer
Posted Oct 19, 2014 3:23 PM ET