New High-Rise Condos

I read about a large scale high-rise condos being built in downtown Phoenix. What I was surprised at was there is nothing mentioned about energy efficiency. We are talking Arizona and no solar panels are being used to offset the electricity. There is no LEED certification being sought. Nothing about how energy efficient the building will or will not be.

http://www.portlandparkcondos.com/team/

Asked By Peter L | May 24 15

Membrane in unvented roof

I am installing 1x6 T&G boards above my 2x8 rafers in an addition cathedral ceiling project. I plan to follow with a layer of 5/8" plywood (for roof structure), and 6 inches of polyiso above that.

Asked By Harold Orozco | Apr 30 15

Soundproofing from street noise

Anyone able to recommend a good quality sound proof window? Right now I am facing problem of street noise

Asked By Margareta Svensson | May 22 15

Oversize HVAC

Hi all,

I am building a home to be as energy efficient as my budget allows, so it will be air tight with higher insulation etc. The home is a total of about 6000sf and is a ranch with basement in the midwest. I am now looking at my HVAC bids but noticed that some of the bids have over sized HVAC systems. The bids include a 5 ton ac 20seer unit, a 110k BTU 98% furnace, ERV fresh air system, and humidifier/dehumidifier.

Asked By D L | May 23 15

adding a porch to a TJI Klindenburg wall

I'm trying to detail adding a porch with roof to a wall with 9 1/2" TJIs (full of cellulose) outside the 2x4 structural wall. The Tji's are not structural but I hesitate to bring the structure through the insulation layer to lag into the 2x4 wall. The loads are not huge but include snow load. The porch is only 7' deep. any suggestions?

Asked By Robert Swinburne | May 24 15

Is there a standard factor General Contractors use when calculating their fee to construct

I am in discussion with a builder to construct my new home in zone 4B. We have engaged the services of an energy modeler to determine how to build the most efficient house within the budget. We are grossly over budget, at the moment. I noted that the GC has build a 16% fee into the budget to build the house. This is on top of all the subs and the contigency. Not wanting to negotiate something I have no background on, I'm wondering if this is a negotiated fee or is there some standard? I understand my builder needs to make a profit but I would love to get 16% return on my investments!

Asked By scott schroeder | May 22 15

OSB versus Styrofoam

I live in climate 3 in warm humid Louisiana and will be building in the next six months. Most of the builders in the area use OSB in the corners and 1/2 styrofoam over the rest of the home for sheathing. I understand the styrofoam has much better insulating value than OSB but I also don't want a home that is structurally weak in a wind storm. Any advice on this?

Asked By Shane sims | May 22 15

Critique for gut-job re-do — insulation

Hi,

Asked By Brian Greul | May 11 15

Rigid foam interior or exterior of basement?

I live in zone 5 and am planning to start the concrete work next month. Right now I am at or just over budget without factoring in any rigid foam insulation for the basement.

Asked By Nicholas C | Apr 6 15

Dense-Pack Cellulose Cathedral Ceiling

My roof (zone 3B) needs insulation, but between Martin's concerns and the inexperience of the contractors in this market, I am conceding that 5" of polyiso foam isn't going to happen. I think that 3.0" nail base (R15) can though (with taped seams). I'd like to get closer to the code minimum of R30 for the assembly. I would rather not tear out the finished interior vaulted ceiling (cedar shingles on battens on felt paper, I know, strange), but the lousy interior air barrier (i.e. the felt paper) concerns me.

Asked By Keith Richtman | Aug 14 14