Does a flexible stainless steel chimney flue really need an insulation wrap?

I am preparing to install a stainless steel flexible liner inside an unlined masonry chimney on an exterior wall to provide draft for a wood stove. Every internet website selling the liners stresses the need for an insulation wrap to keep the vapors warm, improve the draft, and diminish creasote buildup. This has also been emphysized at GBA for similar reasons on multiple occasions. The available wrap liners are typically alkaline earth silicate (AES).

Asked By W. Timothy Ward | Jan 26 15

LPG infloor heat with HWH with a heat exchanger in the HWH is too expensive to run!

I have the above home on a monolithic slab. ...LPG to run the HWH and a heat exchanger pipe running through the HWH to heat my floor...TOO DANG EXPENSIVE TO HEAT MY HOME THAT WAY! Suggestions on how to make it more efficient would be appreciated. A air to water heat pump? A heat pump water heater with a heat exchanger pipe running through the HWH? A solar system of some sort?

Asked By Ed Jones | Jan 25 15

Double Staggered-Stud Wall vs. 2x3 + Foam Strip + 2x4 Wall

My new house will be in a part of climate zone 2B in Arizona where the winter nights often dip into the 30s and the summer days often rise to 100 with around 45 days of "monsoon season" mostly in August when we'll get an hour of thunderstorms once or twice a week. We have moderate to severe termites.

Asked By Jeff Cooper | Jan 23 15

Insulation

Hi. I am trying to renovate a 65 year old house. It is a 2 story house. The second story has a 4 foot vertical wall and then it turns into the roof. The slope is about a 10/12 slope. What I would like to know is whether or not I should treat the slope as a wall or as a roof for insulation purposes? If it is to be treated as a roof would I have to leave space for airflow? Right now I have diagonal cross bracing between the rafters. If I need air flow I would either have to remove these braces or drill holes through them.

Asked By Floyd Hillier | Jan 26 15

Minisplit setup for New Jersey, 750 sq. ft. house over crawl. Bouncing my HVAC contractor's plan off you guys.

The short. I have a 25x30 rancher over a currently vented crawl. It sets almost perfectly south facing on the 30ft long side. No tree shading on south or west. Deciduous tree shading in the east and some on the north side. It's two bedrooms one bath, kitchen and living room. Standard stick frame 2x4 construction and vinyl siding. House was built in 1963 in a post WWII development.

Bedroom1: 10x12
Bedroom2:10x12
Bath: 5x9 rough estimate
Kitchen: 9x11
Living: 14x14 rough.
Short hallway off living room with bedrooms at the end: 4x7

Asked By Lance C | Jan 16 15

WRB - Ice & Water Shield or Grace enV spray-on (to breathe or not to breathe)?

Zone-6A building a PERSIST type home with 8" of Neopor on the exterior. Should I wrap the sheathing in Grace Ice & Water or use a spray on WRB like Grace enV. The Ice & water doesn't breathe, and the enV does. No vapor barrier on the inside and currently there are no plans to insulate in the stud cavities.

Asked By brad hardie | Jan 26 15

Rigid foam on inside of stud cavity?

Looking to maximum the insulation levels as high as I can and not use spray foam due to price.

Asked By kurtis wiedmann | Jan 25 15

Will adding more insulation in basement create a problem?

I've got a large basement space which I'm renovating into a living area. It's in zone 5, Ontario, Canada.

Floor, and Lower 2/3 of walls are bare concrete, upper 1/3 is fiberglass insulated stud wall with drywall.

Walls had been insulated with 1-1/2" of paper faced fiberglass bats between furring strips on which hung wood paneling. Paneling and fiberglass have been removed after 20-30 years, without any signs of mold.

Asked By Richard Baumgarten | Jan 26 15

SHGC high-solar-gain windows current list

Could we list a few US window companies where SHGC windows are available?

Also 2115, what window company are all of you using, in my area, (northern US)

My climate 6A

My area Andersen, Pella are the higher end choice, mainly because that's what's our lumber yard promotes. Some Marvin... The tract builders have lesser known names, all vinyl. I will list them after I get some names.

I only know of one other builder that cares about windows with high solar gain.

Asked By aj builder, Upstate NY Zone 6a | Jan 25 15

I need to replace my gas furnace

Hello to everybody at GBA.

My gas furnace and AC system is starting to get old and I'd love to replace it with a heat pump. As I already have ducts, it seems to me that a ducted system would be best, but I can't figure out if that would really work.

Asked By Martin Holladay | Jan 26 15