Cost comparision between conditioned and vented crawlspace

I am designing and will build a house for my mother which will be a ranch on a crawlspace. It will be in Vancouver, WA (near Portland, OR) and as one study showed, a vented crawlspace here isn't all that bad.
After seeing several homes whose underfloor insulation hasn't held up well over the years, (batt fiberglass tied up between TJIs), I'm thinking a condition crawl would be more durable.

Asked By Mark Walker | Sep 4 15

Water supply line routing

I'm building a house in Western Montana at 3500 ft, climate is not bad other than a couple week cold snap every year, though that may change. Had a couple of brain farts during the design in regards to water lines on exterior walls. It is a slab with radiant heat, so can't go in the floor.

The specs:
Shed roof, unvented with 4" ISO on the roof under rubber membrane.
Planning on R40 batts then drywall with very few holes other than some junction boxes for lights.

Walls are covered in 2" of ISO with 3/4 airspace behind siding.
Planning on batts or something in the R21 range.

Asked By Stan Smith | Sep 3 15

Concerns about backdrafting and makeup air

We're in the process of air sealing a mid-Atlantic house built in the mid-80s. (Today is a humid 94 degrees and in the winter we go below freezing.) We had low CFM-rated (OKNA-brand) windows installed recently. After we seal the rim joists and the attic, I am concerned about what make up air and backdraft situation will be. We will be installing a 300 CFM range hood soon, too. Our water heater was just replaced with a power vented model, and we expect to replace the furnace very soon. We do have a wood burning fireplace.

Asked By Forum User | Sep 3 15

Is this a risky wall assembly?

I am in the process of finalizing plans for a 2 story 2385 square foot home in Zone 6 WI 44.3353° N, 88.6389° W. I have been trying to get in the pretty goodish house category as far as insulation levels and while not where I'd like them to be am currently sitting with the following setup due to budget.

R10 EPS below slab insulation
R10 EPS exterior Foundation walls (will finish off basement later and can add interior insluation)
2x6 R20 damp spray cellulose with R7.5 Atlas Thermalstar LCI-SS EPS insulated sheathing
R55 blown cellulose attic insulation

Asked By Jeremy Coenen | Sep 3 15

New 20+ SEER Variable Carrier heat pump w/ Greenspeed Intelligence system creating moisture & performance problems in the crawl

I had to replace 2 -13 SEER HVAC split systems in my house about 2 years ago do to some Sandy storm damage. One split system was a 90% gas furnace with a 3 ton 13 SEER AC and the other was a 2 ton 13 SEER heat pump.

Asked By Bruce Howe | Sep 2 15

Ducted mini-split serving multiple floors

I am attempting to break my house design into zones such that I can use one mini-split for each zone. I am having trouble simultaneously satisfying two pieces of advice from this forum. In "Rules of Thumb for Ductless Minisplits," Martin says that one ductless head can serve a maximum of about 1100 square feet. That is based on distribution, not capacity. I realize that it is a rule of thumb that might not apply to a super-open floorplan, but if I violate that rule, I should have some justification.

Asked By Reid Baldwin | Sep 2 15

Bring windows from outside the USA?

I am building a new home in PA. I've been looking for windows. I reached out to all the name-brand window manufacturers in this area and Canada. I have a lot of windows. Got quotes for 2-pane windows which have run $45,000 - 65,000. The 3-pane windows quotes have run $60,000- 70,000.

I was talking to my cousin who lives overseas, in eastern Europe, in a cold part of the country. He just built a house with triple-pane windows. So I reached out there to a local manufacturer, and their quote for uPVC windows (with Rehau frames) was under $20,000.

Asked By Boris Rubinstein | Sep 3 15

Alpen vs Inline

I am comparing Alpen and Inline products. I have recieved quotations from both companies and I would like to pose a few questions to those that have a little more experience in this relam.

Both companies use fiberglass frames and Cardinal Low E Glass. Inline makes their frame and Alpen purchases the frame material through Inline.

Alpen makes a double pane window, their 525-s Series, that have a whole window U-factor of .19 for casements and .15 for pictures. Inline offers a triple pane window with a whole window u-factor of .17 for a casement and .14 for a picture.

Asked By David Mosijchuk | Mar 25 15

Vented attic vs. a sealed, non-vented, airtight attic

I'm building a new home in Miami, Fla.

An insulation contractor advises me to eliminate the planned roof & soffit vents and seal the attic with foam.
What are the Pros and Cons for maintaining attiic ventilation, and eliminating it?

Asked By Calvin Smith | Sep 1 15