GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Has anyone used the shim screws and EPDM gaskets made by Conservation Technology for installing windows?

user-993011 | Posted in General Questions on

Is the technique easy to learn? How many shims crews would you use on a window?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. dankolbert | | #1

We use them frequently for various purposes. Are these un-flanged windows? The short answer is it's a pretty easy learning curve. And the window manufacturer should tell you how many fastening points you need.

2. dankolbert | | #2

And PS, we've found all of CT's products to be excellent, well made and well designed. One of our favorite vendors.

3. user-993011 | | #3

They are Pella Proline 450 with nailing flanges.
    We're also looking at using the sill and drywall gaskets.

4. dankolbert | | #4

I looked at the install instructions - they don't seem to call for any fasteners other than thru the flange - why do you think you need the shim screws?

5. user-993011 | | #5

My understanding is that the shimscrews are for leveling more than fastening. The instructions do call for shims.

6. user-993011 | | #6

And to stabilize the windows more than the nailing flanges do. But I'm an architect not a builder so it's theoretical to me at this point. That's why I'm hoping wiser folks can help me out. Thanks for your input!

7. user-993011 | | #7

I get references in my readings to shim screws for leveling windows but no one seems to know how exactly to use them, how many and where. Can anyone help?

8. user-757117 | | #8

David,
    Unless there is something special about these windows that I'm not aware of you won't need shim screws in your case.
    Take the time to install shims at each corner of the sill so that they are nice and level with each other then put the window in on top of them and secure the flange.
    The window should be level but you will still need to check for plumb.
    Further shims should be installed as per manufacturer's instructions.

9. user-993011 | | #9

So because of the nailing flanges the shim screws are not needed? Just use regular plastic horseshoe shims? My aim is to use gaskets or foam around the window to create as airtight a window installation as possible.
    Thanks!

10. user-757117 | | #10

David,
    I think the shim screws might be more useful with a door jamb that is out of square.
    There are plenty of people on this forum who have installed more windows than I have but I've never seen a new window that was out of square - and even if you had an out of square window I'm not sure how much movement you'd get out of the frame shimming it back to square.
    Personally I would use standard wooden shims which you can get anywhere and use a little silicone sealant on each.

Foam or gaskets, each has its pros and cons...

11. user-993011 | | #11

Lucas, Thank you for your assistance. Which way would you go: foam or gasket?
    David

12. mfredericks | | #12

FYI, this video from Hammer and Hand shows one of their teams installing a window with Shim Screws (not sure if they're CT's or not)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmUJQHN7ALw

13. user-757117 | | #13

David,
    Having tried the the gaskets I'm not sure I would bother with them again...
    Installation is not always quite as easy as described.
    Right now I think I would rather foam the gap then apply air-stop tape around the perimeter.

I don't trust foam to stay airtight over time, but I do like having something with a little R-value in the gap.
    I do trust gaskets to stay airtight over time, but they have very little R-value (last winter for example, it got cold enough I was able to see some frost on the gaskets I used around the windows in my house).

Here you can check out how I installed the windows in my house (they have a nailing fin like yours will):
    http://ourhouseuponmoosehill.blogspot.ca/2013/09/flashing-windows-dont-worry-i-keep-my.html
    http://ourhouseuponmoosehill.blogspot.ca/2012/11/windows-finally.html

14. user-993011 | | #14

Thanks Lucas, that was helpful.
    I'm thinking i might do it almost the same but maybe use DuPont FlexWrap over the beveled cedar.

15. user-757117 | | #15

David, no worries.
    There's all kinds of products out there these days.
    I chose the membrane that I used because it's what I had left over ;-)
    Good luck and safe building.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |