Interesting SIP alternative

Came across this site EZ Sip (http://structuralinsulatedpanels.com/).

My original retirement house plan was the standard 2x6 wall framing, Roxul batt interior, with 1/2" ply exterior wall then 2" of Roxul then the furring strips with appropriate siding.

After seeing this concept and the associated savings in construction time, I am now in a bit of a quandary. Method does seem to meet interior and exterior insulation values, as well as issues of stud bleed through. Having ply on out side resolves potential accumulation of moisture due to dew point issues.

Asked By William Oldaker | May 19 15

General questions re: building in Zone 7

Long time reader, first question...(I apologize in advance for length).

I will be building in the next year or so, this is my 5th home I have had built and have managed all my previous builds, so I know a LITTLE about building, but not even close to a professional. I live on the very Southern edge of Zone 7 in Central Minnesota (in fact, Zone 6 boundary is about 2 miles South of me). We have some hot, humid days in the summer, but obviously heating in winter is much more intense.

Asked By Brad VanVickle | Feb 14 15

Dense-packed cellulose in exterior walls

I have a 100+ year old home and there is currently no insulation in the walls. There is vinyl siding on the exterior and I think it was installed over the old wood siding. I am considering having dense-packed cellulose blown into my 2x4 exterior walls. Am I going to have a moisture problem if I do so? I've read conflicting opinions. I would appreciate any advice you can offer.

Asked By T S | Jul 2 15

Relative value of air sealing at exterior sheathing

I am trying to understand the relative value of air sealing at the sheathing. To do this lets consider cost as the benchmark. I realize that there is value beyond cost but this is an easily quantifiable benchmark and the one that seems most resonate with my clients.

Asked By Hugh Stearns | Jul 1 15

Do sumps pumps and drain tiles create a self fulfilling prophecy?

This may seem like an odd question so let me explain myself, and to be clear it is mostly philosophical and out of curiosity.

I own/have owned/lived in many different buildings in the Chicago area. My parents house is also nearby.

Asked By Michael D | Jul 6 15

Solar orientation design trade-offs — tough decisions

I have the unique opportunity to build an net-zero spec house for an investor in my local area. It's a 1450 sq ft. ranch with a garage on a slab. Building to "pretty awesome" house principles. Air-tight, High R, Triple glazed euro windows, etc etc.

My dilemma is the trade-offs between curb appeal, design functionality and optimum solar orientation for solar PV and glazing.

Asked By Ben Freed | Jul 6 15

Recap: Insulate shop with polyiso between rafters

(Removed from an old thread with a similar title -- I decided to repost this as a separate question)

I am back working on my shop. To recap, it's a small 12' x 20' detached shop, in Mass., vaulted ceiling, well-vented at ridge and soffit, using 2" cut-and-cobble polyiso installed below plastic vent channels in each rafter bay, it's a low ceiling with no room to put the polyiso below the rafters.

Asked By Tom R | Jul 7 15

Insulate shop with polyiso between rafters?

Hi Folks ...

[I am new here, but have read through enough posts to see that what I'm asking about seems to be within the normal range of discussion, but not answered directly by anything I could find.]

I am in MA (zone 5). I have a 12' x 20' prefab shed that is used as a workshop. It was insulated with fiberglass batts between the 2x4 (yes, 2x4) rafters. There was 3/8" plywood below these covering the rafters, but not all the way up to the peak -- top foot or so on each side was just the open insulation face.

Asked By Tom Rawson | Dec 29 14

Window replacement

Hi.... I am helping a friend reconstruct an exterior wall, and will be replacing a window. The window purchased (and non-returnable) is a replacement window type.

Since we will be removing all the siding for the reconstruction, I assumed that a regular flanged was purchased.

Asked By Rob Henderson | Jul 6 15

Are there any builders, architects, engineers, or homeowners interested in industrial hemp building?

Energy and bio-friendly materials significantly solve many issues I see here, and despite code/cost and other issues, it is a solution many are embracing...

Hempcrete, hemp fiber insulation, hemp particle board, carpets, furniture are all available and becoming more mainstream alternatives with immense positive experiences. Anybody have experiences or interest in this?

Asked By Kristin Steen | Jun 16 15