GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How would you insulate cathedral ceilings?

2cool2hear | Posted in General Questions on

How would you insulate your cathedral ceilings? Rafts are 10-12 inches deep.

if you have your house insulated, how do you like it? What would you have done differently?

I had a guy over to bid on sealing and insulating the cathedral ceilings with foam spray. He suggested I go with dense blown-in fiber glass instead because it works better. I had to ask him how long he’s been in business. 7 years.

I don’t know what I’m missing here.

Any tips on finding contractors I can count on getting the job done right?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Jesse,
    To read about all of the many ways to insulate a cathedral ceiling, see How to Build an Insulated Cathedral Ceiling.

I don't know whether you are talking about a new house or an existing house. If you are talking about an existing house, I don't know whether your ceiling is presently insulated, uninsulated, or partially insulated. I don't know whether you have a vent channel, and I don't know whether you prefer a vented or an unvented solution.

Q. "Any tips on finding contractors I can count on getting the job done right?"

A. Ask for recommendations at your local lumberyard. Ask any contractors for references, and call the references. Ask to see the contractor's proof of liability insurance.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |