GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What is the best method to upgrade a 3-season cathedral ceiling to 4-season in zone 7a?

[email protected] | Posted in General Questions on

From inside to out my roof consists of 1 1/4 x 5 1/4″ tongue-and-groove cedar, then a layer of poly, 2×4 strapping with Buffalo board filled in the gaps (1 1/2″), then roof sheathing, then shingles. Need to upgrade this and maintain the cedar on the inside. The roof is laid on large beams inside.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Keith,
    I've never heard of Buffalo Board. In the U.K., it seems to be a brand of birch plywood -- but I'm guessing that you are talking about something else.

For all intents and purposes, your roof assembly is uninsulated. If you want to keep your ceiling looking the way it does now, that means that your insulation has to go on top of the existing roof sheathing.

In your climate zone, the code requires a minimum of R-49 insulation. You can achieve that with 8 inches of polyiso (rigid foam) or about 12 inches of EPS.

You might find it easier to install a SIP roof or nailbase rather than assembling a foam sandwich on site.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |