GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

My question is ice dam related. I am looking for a permanent solution.

asaccoach | Posted in General Questions on

I get ice dams near my gutters every year and would like a permanent solution. I am in the process of getting it air sealed and insulated but I have solid soffits with small vents about every 6 feet. s this enough ventilation and if not what can I do to make it right? Thanks in advance.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Al,
    If you can get a good air sealing job, and at least code-minimum insulation (generally R-38 or R-49, depending on your Climate Zone), you should be fine. For more information, see Prevent Ice Dams With Air Sealing and Insulation.

If your gutters extend above the plane of your roofing, however, the gutters are probably contributing to the problem. When in doubt, it's usually a good idea (in snow country) to remove the gutters, unless you have another compelling reason (a wet basement, for example, or a splashback problem) to keep them.

2. asaccoach | | #2

Thanks, I will double check the gutters but I think they are even or just below the roof line.

3. fitchplate | | #3

First winter we built we had heat on (for construction) but no insulation. That winter the snow melt filled the gutters with solid ice and huge icicles over the side. They are heavy galvanized gutters so they handled the weight and my periodic effort to break out the ice with a hammer. The next winter we had installed insulation and the roof deck was air sealed. To prove the point, we had not a single issue with under-the-snow-melt nor the ice dams and icicles in the gutters. Removing gutters will replace the daming with icicles but might stop the ice backing up under the shingles.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |