GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Martin, GBA 2.0

wjrobinson | Posted in General Questions on

So what tabs stay free and what is going more toward pay for?

Does this Q&A stay? Do we keep yapping here those of us that have or do we now pay $100 bucks to play here and sometimes learn something?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

AJ,
    Taunton Press has announced changes to GBA that will be implemented in January 2015. GBA subscribers will have access to new content, including a greatly increased library of relevant Fine Homebuilding articles. GBA subscribers will also see fewer ads than non-subscribers.

Taunton reserves the right to adjust where it puts the "paywall." To the best of my knowledge, the Q&A pages will remain open to all GBA visitors, whether or not they are subscribers.

Like any publishing business, GBA needs revenue to stay afloat. Many loyal GBA readers have long been subscribers; to all of you I extend my heartfelt thanks.

Among the changes planned for January: new blogs authored by Allison Bailes and me will only be visible to GBA subscribers. If you value the contributions by Allison and me, you may want to take advantage of GBA's offered discount on GBA membership.

For those of you who missed it, here is the message that Taunton sent out by e-mail recently:

Dear GBA Community,
    Six years ago we launched GreenBuildingAdvisor.com with one goal: to be the most trustworthy source of information for anyone designing, building, or remodeling energy-efficient, sustainable, and healthy homes. At the heart of GBA 1.0 were downloadable construction details, case studies of high-performance homes, a strategy generator, and the Green Spec product guide. Over the years we've added thousands of articles — some written by me, and others by Allison Bailes, Carl Seville, and some of the country's top experts in the fields of construction, architecture, and building science. We've also built a thriving community of GBA users and members—you—who bring immeasurable value and experience to GBA. Thank you.

As we prepare to move into a new time at GBA—GBA 2.0, if you will — I'd like to introduce you to some of the features that we have developed from your feedback. Members will appreciate the new GBA Member Central: a home page dedicated to showcasing the latest and most-popular content on the site. We've added dozens of deep and informative articles from Fine Homebuilding magazine covering green building, energy efficiency, building science, and healthy construction practices. We've reduced the number of advertisements that members will see on the site to make reading GBA a more enjoyable experience. And we're launching a new members-only e-letter, so our GBA Prime users will never miss a new article, video, or case study.

We have also made some changes to the member model, making the most valuable content available only to GBA Prime members. This change will allow us to continue to improve GBA with more content, tools, and features in the future.

As we await these changes to take final shape, I would like to extend a limited-time offer. For the next month, we'll be offering our membership at the discounted price of $99.95 for 1 year. By signing up today, you'll be among the first to know when our new features are unveiled in January 2015.

Join us today and don't miss out on your all access pass to these new benefits to help you design, build and remodel better.
    Sincerely,
    Martin Holladay

2. wjrobinson | | #2

Can I pay $100 and choose you and Joe L? No?

PGH is my thing, if I have to pay to read about a PH guy crying about why cheap OSB is cheap.... I would pay to help you out Martin but.... let those guys know,,,, cheap is cheap cause aj says so!

3. wjrobinson | | #3

A practical focus would get my 100 dollar bill.

1-a PGH tab specific, the Maine boys and Marc Rosenbaum
    2-Some kind of help eliminating the total difference or GBA and BSC from what NYS code is having us do here in zone 6. You know what I see, 1/2" ext rigid, glass with poly in basements. Either one is right and one is wrong or the right is code or my head is gonna explode someday soon.
    3- have to add after more coffee...
    4- Some of us miss Riversong for his incite into more natural materials building and more. so we need a specific focus on natural materials, building with it, costs, techniques but all gathered together in one area. Maybe it is... I haven't slogged through the site enough.

Be nice to have a folder of our own to organize content from your site into projects of our own or knowledge we feel should be together. Give this folder option to paid folks and I'm ready to send my hundred. In fact since it is my idea, give me a lifetime membership.

OK... PGH homes... that is key for me, that and going all electric/PV ala Dana's ideas and Marc's and the Maine boys...

Almost talked into this... may have to give it to myself for xmas, just cause how can you not like Martin and be there for the off grid man.

4. Airithol | | #4

Martin,

I take it this offer, and the quoted email, is only for existing (paid) members? When I click the link you provided, I see the regular $149.95/year, and I did not receive an email from Taunton or GBA.

I can agree with the offer being for existing, paid members only. I have been putting off anteing up, too long it would now appear. I can accept my lumps.

However, I am surprised about not getting the email. I checked my spam, update, promotion folders. My GBA sign in email address is correct, and active. While I was generally aware that the site was undergoing updates, it was my impression they were in response to the nightly barrage of spam posts we see on occasion, or to sort out of some of the minor bugs the site experiences.

cheers

5. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #5

Jason,
    I'm trying to track down the right link to the page that offers the discounted price. When I learn the link, I'll post it here.

6. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #6

Jason,
    Try this link:
    https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/join/special

I'm not sure that the link works for all browsers. It works for me in Windows Explorer, but not Firefox.

7. Richard Beyer | | #7

Martin I'm pretty sure I have been paying all along. The odd part is when I click and sign into my account it redirects me to the Taunton Press Store. Once there I'm lost like I am at a real mall. How do I access my information once in the Taunton Mall?

8. Airithol | | #8

Martin,

Thank you. The second link you gave didn't work initially (using Google Chrome). The link brought me to https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/join/subscribe instead, even though your link ends with "special".

On a whim, I logged out of my GBA account and tried your link, which worked. Glad to know I can get the discount rate!

cheers

9. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #9

Richard,
    What kind of information do you want to access?

10. Richard Beyer | | #10

My CC info on file.

11. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #11

Richard,
    I don't know what "CC info" is. But I think that your questions are best addressed by contacting Taunton's customer service department:
    866-325-2558 or 800-943-0253
    [email protected]

12. Richard Beyer | | #12

Credit Card

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |