GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How to best seal well water line in PVC pipe coming up through slab.

brp_nh | Posted in General Questions on

Our foundation is a monolithic slab on grade. The well water line (1.25″) and electrical line (1″) enter horizontally under the slab and then vertically up within a 4″ PVC pipe (via two 45 degree elbows). Not sure if this was the best method vs just embedding in the slab, but the thought being that it would be possible to replace the water/electrical line in the future if needed.

I’d like to seal up the space in the 4″ PVC pipe, mostly just the top area from within the house. I’m not concerned about bulk water intrusion…..just air sealing and moisture barrier.

The best I can come up with is using some spray foam that I have left over:
Pur Fill 1g

Any suggestions on a better material or method to do this?

Thanks.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Brian,
    Canned spray foam will do a good enough job.

If you want something better than "good enough," use a high-quality European tape like Siga Wigluv.

2. user-2890856 | | #2

Or you could do it best . Turn off water , separate pipe , Glue 1 1/2" x 3" pieces pvc into a 3' pvc coupling , Glue that 3" coupling into the 4" pipe , deburr any protrusions from outside of 3" coupling , then use a Caleffi GeoSealEPDM penetration seal .

http://www.caleffi.com/usa/en-us/catalogue/pipe-connections-and-seals

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |