GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Triangle Tube Prestige Excellence vs. Greenstar Combi 151

Ada42080 | Posted in General Questions on

Hello everyone,

We are building a new home in Vermont, so very cold weather. The builder gave us a choice of either the Triangle Tube Prestige Excellence or the Bosch Greenstar Combi 151. Our home will be 1,647sf (above grade), 2 story plus basement, 3 beds, 2 and 1/2 baths, plus other normal appliances.

I like both systems but can not decide which would be better for us. Honestly, I love that the triangle tube Excellence has the 14gl tank in addition to the on demand but they claim 180gph which is only 3gpm. I would like something that we could run 2 showers and maybe like the dishwasher at the same time without affecting hot water supply. Are any of these 2 ok for our home? Is one better than the other and why?

Thank you,

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. wjrobinson | | #1

Adan, we are happy with installing the Prestige with an indirect water heater in order to spec. out for your situation and needs.

Done.

aj

2. user-2890856 | | #2

Take the prestige with the small storage tank . Low flow showerheads will allow you to take 2 showers at once . depending on the size of the home however you may experience boiler shortcycling with both of these . They bath also require REGULAR maintenance of the unit's heat exchanger . The greenstar is an aluminum hX so water chemistry is important . I would ask if there are any other options . HTP Versa Flame is a larger footprint but requires much less maintenance and will not short cycle . Also is a smaller BTUh unit with a superior combustion assembly and heat exchanger .
    How many zones is this home and what type of emitters are being used ?

3. Ada42080 | | #3

Thanks guys, the home will have 2 programmable thermostats (upstairs and downstairs).

4. user-2890856 | | #4

2 zones . If the house is even somewhat tight you definitely run a high likelihood that the offered boilers will short cycle throughout the entire heating season . While at or near design whenever only 1 zone is calling and when at 3/4 load or less even when both zones are calling .

5. wjrobinson | | #5

If the HTP is also a choice, then its a good choice too.

6. Ada42080 | | #6

Thanks, keep the comments coming. I have been reading some good reviews on the Bosch combi 151. Plus, people are saying the annual cost to run it is lower than the Prestige Excellence. I would love to hear from someone who has a Bosch 151 installed in their home.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |