GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

When using a LED conversion kit for a recessed lite, can you fill the can with fiber glass insulation?

Ricker77 | Posted in General Questions on

I have two lights in a vaulted ceiling that leak air like crazy and make it difficult to keep the room warm. If not is there a better way to insulate the lights without replacing them?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. charlie_sullivan | | #1

I wouldn't stuff with fiberglass, because:
    1) Fiberglass doesn't actually do much of anything to stop airflow, and
    2) LED lights are most efficient when they are cool, so insulation will degrade their performance.

Instead, I'd caulk between the trim ring of the retrofit unit and the ceiling. Yes, that's more permanent than one would normally use to install a lightbulb, but the LEDs should last 25k to 50k hours. Alternatively, you could use some kind of gasket there.

You may have noticed that Home Depot has high-performance CREE downlight retrofit units for $20 now, which I think is an amazing bargain, especially since they have excellent color (CRI > 90).

2. Yamayagi1 | | #2

LED lights are electronic devices (Light Emitting Diodes) that produce heat and MUST have adequate cooling to prevent damage and maintain life and efficiency. Even though they produce much less waste heat than incandescent lamps, they must still have enough cooling dissipation to keep from failing from high circuitry temperatures. Don't stuff the cans.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |