GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Strapping material for rainscreen…plywood fir or spruce?

unclejemima | Posted in General Questions on

I’m ready to put the strapping on-top of my WRB, only I’m not sure what the best choice is.

I want a 3/8″ gap, so cutting plywood strips is my only option (there is NO composite furring strips available in town…I called everywhere!)

I’ve got the option of 3/8 spruce with exterior glue, or 3/8 fur with exterior glue.

Does either have a lower tannin content that may deteriorate the WRB? Do I even have to worry about that? Should I back prime the strapping to avoid this?

I’m going to put cement board over the strapping then stone.

Thanks!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. brp_nh | | #1

Cor-A-Vent Sturdi-Strips (3/8" deep) are available from ABC Supply Co. if you can't buy from a local supplier. Their website doesn't look good, but they are legit:
    https://abccatalog.com/view_product.asp?idproduct=2147801112

We used these with the SV-3 product for a vented rain screen on our house.

2. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #2

Mark, As far as I know Tyvek was the only WRB which had problems with deterioration due to cedar tannins, and they have since reformulated their product to address this.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Mark,
    Either spruce or fir will work fine. But I wouldn't use the fur if I were you.

4. mtr7982 | | #4

Martin,

The Native Americans, the original fur rainscreen , I believe they turned the fur in which would've prevented thermal bridging to the tee pee support poles. Hmmm you have my wheels turning.

5. unclejemima | | #5

Thanks guys :-)

Brian, thanks for the link. I'm in Canada so the weak CAD, shipping and Duties would kill me :-(

Malcom. Good to know. I won't worry then.

Martin, I'll use the fir. Its difficult to find exterior glue rated 3/8" plywood, but I did find the exterior rated glue and fir for a reasonable price. 99% are interior glue and usually spruce.

Mr Miller...interesting reply :-)

Thanks all!

6. GBA Editor
    Andy Engel | | #6

I used mason's lath. I suspect it was poplar, but it's cheap and 3/8 in. thick.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |