GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Cold storage room in a basement and a heat-pump water heater

Irishjake | Posted in General Questions on

So I’m planning to have a cool storage type room in my basement for food. We are heating with mini-splits, and will have 9.3 kW of PV solar. I’m considering placing a 80 gal AO Smith hybrid heat pump water heater in the cool storage room. Figuring if it is going to cool a room anyways, I might as well make it a cool storage food room, and insulate the floor above so it doesn’t cool the floor above.

How much space(sq ft) should I allow for room the heat pump will operate in so that it works effectively? It can also be tied into our general storage room too – to allow for more space.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Brad,
    Minimum dimensions (volume) for rooms where heat-pump water heaters are installed are specified by the heat-pump manufacturer. The minimum dimensions vary somewhat from manufacturer to manufacturer.

For more information, see Heat-Pump Water Heaters Come of Age.

2. charlie_sullivan | | #2

I'm not sure the manufacturer's number will apply directly to your situation, but it's a good starting point. What is your climate? Which of the walls will be insulated and will the floor be insulated? How about under the slab? If the slab is uninsulated, and all the walls are, the room temperature would approach the ground temperature under the slab. If the water heater chilled it below the ground temperature, you'd then pull heat from the ground through the slab to heat the water. The question might be whether it then gets colder than you want for the water heater to work well or for the target food storage temperature. If both, you could let in some warm air from the rest of the basement.

The humidity removal provided by the heat pump water heater could be very useful in preventing condensation on the cold floor.

3. Irishjake | | #3

Martin,

Thanks, figured the manufacturer would give specs, just don't have that doc right here to look at.

4. user-2890856 | | #4

Locate the heater in a space that is larger and run the vent to what you want to be your cool storage room .
    There are now HPWHs that can vent inside during summer and outside during winter usage . A few even promote drawing the intake air from the attic in summer and elsewhere during winter .

5. Irishjake | | #5

Charlie,

I'm in Zone 6A. The floor will be insulated with 4.5" of Neopor under slab, with Stego 15mil vapor barrier between the Neopor and slab. Foundation walls are sandwich wall construction - 6" interior concrete wall, 4.5" Neopor in the middle, and 3-4" exterior concrete wall. So it is well insulated.

I realize that HPWH will cool the space and some question whether it should be used in the Northeast...here are some other thoughts I have:

I was planning to have make-up air supply for my stove come in from the sill, through a short run in the basement (same room as the HPWH and then release via a vent behind the fridge. This will increase the efficiency of the fridge by cooling the fins and temper the incoming air. My thought was that this cool air from the HPWH could also be shed via a second (passive) vent up behind the fridge where the air would get tempered and further increase the fridge efficiency.

The basement will be conditioned heated space, so there will be loss from the mini-splits to heat the air that is supplied to the HPWH. The room will be more than big enough for the HPWH. I intend for the HPWH to dehumidify and cool the extra storage/ seasonal junk storage/ food storage, but want to make sure there is adequate warm air for it to operate efficiently too.

6. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #6

Brad,
    You wrote, "I figured the manufacturer would give specs. I just don't have that doc right here to look at."

If you have Internet access -- and I suspect you do, since you are posting comments on GBA -- you can find the information you seek by visiting the water heater manufacturer's web site.

7. Irishjake | | #7

Martin,

Got it thanks. Not sure why I didn't why I didn't think to check there...

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |