GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Small spots on inside of Weathershield double pane windows with argon gas

flyman789 | Posted in General Questions on

I purchased and installed vinyl clad Weathershield windows. They are showing spots on the inside of the window panes. Has this window failed or is this the result of the argon gas failing. I notice them at the bottom few inches. I am attempting to sell my home and buyers are concerned at what might be going on. They will rely on your opinion.

thank you, Gene.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Gene,
    Discolorations or cloudy areas between the panes of double-pane windows are usually an indication of seal failures. You might want to check with Weathershield to see whether your window warranty covers seal failure -- some warranties do.

If the problem is seal failure, the entire IGU (the glass) has to be replaced. In some cases, replacing the entire sash (the glass and the frame around it) is cheaper than replacing the IGU.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |