GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Spray foam wall and 2×6 framing: How to seal stud-to-stud cracks?

unclejemima | Posted in General Questions on

I spray foamed my entire house. Roof trusses, wall cavity and even the floor.

We’re just getting ready to do electrical and mechanical rough in and the spray foam guys are going to come back and scrape any exposed foam off the face of the studs, and also seal the windows and stud-to-stud area.

What they are planning on doing is using acousti seal where 2 studs sit side-by-side and then put tuck tape over the acousti seal.

Is this a good practice or is there a better way to seal these joints? I’ve got a double top plate and double bottom plate. Should I do the top and bottom plates, as well as the wall stud joints with the acousti seal?

Any advice would be appreciated.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #1

The caulked & taped approach as described is sound. It's just as important to treat doubled-up top plates in the same manner as the doubled-up studs, as well as a bead of caulk at the transition of the bottom plate of the framing to the sub-floor.

2. unclejemima | | #2

Is there any other options that might be better? If not, then that's easy as pie :-)

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |