GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Best practices regarding blown-in insulation in a double-stud wall?

daylandry | Posted in General Questions on

Martin mentioned in another Q&A that choosing a contractor with experience installing blown-in insulation in a double-stud wall is important because of multiple ways it can go wrong. I am going to build my first dble-stud wall home soon and would like to know what to look for/ask for regarding a proper install. In our area (climate zone 4C) dble-stud walls are not common. I can imagine that getting the proper density might be challenging without discrete stud cavities to pack. Advice?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

David,
    First of all, I suggest that you read this article: How to Install Cellulose Insulation.

Second, here are some questions to ask your insulation contractor:

1. Have you ever insulated a double-stud wall before? How did that project go?

2. Are you familiar with the dense-pack method? If so, how do you determine that the insulation has achieved the desired density?

3. Have you ever had to insulate a very large cavity -- for example, a triangular attic behind a kneewall? If so, what approach did you use?

The answers you receive to these questions should give you a pretty good idea of whether the contractor knows what he or she is talking about.

2. daylandry | | #2

Thank you Martin, your answer and that great article answered my questions!

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |