GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Can spray foam help?

FellStreeter | Posted in General Questions on

My home originally had an open front porch which, at one point, was enclosed. I recently had the enclosure torn off and reconstructed so that the area would serve as an addition to the home’s front room. The new “addition” sits atop a “coal bin.” Would spray foam help insulate the front room from any moisture and drafts from the coal bin?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Kevin,
    I'm assuming that the "coal bin" you are referring to is below grade and connected to your basement. Presumably, the coal bin has concrete walls or masonry walls, just like a basement or crawl space.

Of course, if you have a heated (conditioned) room above an unconditioned coal bin, you want three barriers between your finish flooring and the room below. You want an insulation layer; you want a vapor barrier; and you want an air barrier. Spray foam insulation is one option, but there are other ways to provide these barriers.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |