GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Outlet air sealing

Ani1 | Posted in General Questions on

I have a question on low voltage wiring for new construction of a residential house.
The wiring would be for network (CAT), Control, Audio, CATV, etc….
I see that there are “open backed boxes/brackets” (Carlon), “closed boxes” (120V type), and “air-sealed” boxes (gasket).

I am conscious of air sealing (techniques) and will also be using a sprayed insulation solution in the exterior walls.
I understand that it is more important to make sure the walls/house is properly air sealed but am trying to comprehend how significant is the air leakage through the outlets? Does it justify the larger cost involved with purchasing a closed or air-sealed box?

Is there advantages or disadvantages of using an open backed bracket/box instead of a closed backed box or air-sealed/gasket box in a wall that will have spayed insulation in it?

If the air is leaking through the jack/wire entry point (into the box) would there be any difference between a closed box vs an air-sealed/gasket box? In both cases the wire entry point would need to be sealed after wires are installed in the box?

Thanks!
Ani

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Ani,
    Every wall needs an air barrier -- but there are several ways to accomplish that requirement.

I have no idea what you mean by "a sprayed insulation solution." Do you mean closed-cell spray polyurethane foam? Open-cell spray polyurethane foam? Blown-in fiberglass? Damp-spray cellulose?

Do you have a plan to include an air barrier in your wall? If so, what approach are you taking? Taped wall sheathing? Spray foam insulation? The Airtight Drywall Approach?

2. Ani1 | | #2

Thanks Martin for taking the time to answer my post.
    The new construction will be using spray-applied fiberglass insulation.
    The air barrier will be a combination of taped wall sheathing and airtight drywall approach.
    I'm investigating a liquid applied membrane to be applied on the outside of the sheathing, but it may be out of my price range.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Ani,
    The Airtight Drywall Approach (ADA) requires either special airtight electrical boxes or, at a minimum, close attention to electrical boxes to make sure that the boxes are airtight.

If you are using two air barriers -- an exterior as well as an interior air barrier -- it's up to you to decide whether to follow the usual rules for the ADA, or to relax the rules in light of the fact that you have two air barriers.

4. Ani1 | | #4

Thanks Martin.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |