GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Household humidity

WEG | Posted in General Questions on

Lots of numbers. Thermostat reads 52% humidity, HRV control reads 49% humidity. The Hobo reads 56.5% relative humidity. The sling psychrometer has wet bulb 66, dry 72, which is 76% relative humidity. So how humid is this place?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Walter,
    The short answer is that relative humidity readings are notoriously inconsistent from one hygrometer to another. The usual explanation is that inexpensive hygrometers aren't particularly accurate.

I would throw out the data from the thermostat, since thermostats aren't designed to provide accurate RH readings. The HRV control is meaningless in this context.

Sling psychrometers should give good readings, however, assuming that you are using the device properly.

2. wjrobinson | | #2

Humidity where I live is up in the summer...yup. Down in the winter, yup. high in a bathroom while running a shower. Knowing it exactly is has no value to me and may not to you. Relative...humidity... relative.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Walter,
    Assuming that:

1. Your air conditioner is operating properly, and

2. The AC unit isn't oversized, and

3. There are no unusual sources of moisture in your house (for example, a damp basement, a damp crawl space, or a plumbing leak), and

4. You are measuring the indoor relative humidity correctly, and

5. Your indoor relatively humidity is actually elevated, then...

... the solution is to install a $250 stand-alone dehumidifier in your house. For more information, see All About Dehumidifiers.

4. WEG | | #4

Thanks. I have a tight house. About 2.7 ACH50. 4" iso on the exterior with 2x4 walls dense packed with cellulose, R84 in attic. That recent article in JLC about the Vermont house with the moisture in the walls has me all worked up. I need to get more dehumidification. I have my 2ton AC running on dehumidify but it isn't doing the job. How can I add more dehumidification? Help

5. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #5

It's common in tight high-R/low load houses to need mechanical dehumidification to keep the summertime humidity bounded as outdoor dew points rise. This is a more common phenomenon in the more humid eastern half of the continent, and it's generally worse the further south you go due to the generally higher outdoor dew point averages (= higher latent load from ventilation air.)

6. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #6

Walter,
    Dana's point is a good one. In hot, humid weather, it's important not to overventilate your house. Make sure that your HRV is ventilating as an appropriate rate.

7. WEG | | #7

Thanks,
    It run 20 minutes and hour. I'll be turning it off during working hours and we'll see what happens.
    Walt

8. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #8

Walter,
    "20 minutes per hour" doesn't give us enough info.

1. When it runs, how many cfm is the HRV moving?

2. How many square feet does your house have?

3. How many occupants does your house have?

9. AlanB4 | | #9

Has anyone tried the $250 dehumidifier in front of an intake vent, much cheaper then the 3k for a whole house dehumidifier (assuming its effective)

10. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #10

Alan,
    In Comment #4, I provided a link to this article: All About Dehumidifiers. The article discusses the results of research into the use of a stand-alone dehumidifier placed near the central return grille of a forced-air system. Briefly, the approach works.

11. AlanB4 | | #11

I should have read the article again, i'm sure i glanced at it some time ago and forgot its contents, my bad

12. charlie_sullivan | | #12

Unfortunately, the $250 dehumidifiers are significantly less efficient than the best "whole-house" units. That results in putting heat into the house, as well as consuming more energy, which then means the A/C has to run more as well. But it's hard to justify buying the larger unit unless you have a major humidity problem.

13. wjrobinson | | #13

Walter, I run a dehumidifier for a month a year. I added a hose drain and put it on auto. Comes September and it's off. My home humidity is at least 50% now and every summer. By February I have to have a moisture maker by the bed as the humidity is too low. But my home is a leaky 80s place.

I'm with Martin, run the HRV less seasonally and possibly other times depending on air quality number of inhabitants etc.... all discussed here at GBA .

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |