GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Blueskin self adhesive membrane tape is expensive.. I think I have an answer..

kenorakq | Posted in General Questions on

I was wandering through the isle at HD and noticed that the (Blueskin) 6″ wide tape x 50 ft is $30 but the big roll of membrane 36″ x 200 ft is only $128.

It occurred to me that I could either unroll the larger membrane and slice it into 6″ (or any width) strips across the 36″ width or roll out the length I need (say 72″ and cut strips along the length.

Is that a genius idea or as I fear… the two products are not the same. I am hoping the Bakor Blueskin WP 200 is just a giant roll of whats in the 50 ft rolls.

Anyone ever consider this or look into it?

The intention is to use it for sealing around doors and windows.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. kenorakq | | #1

or VP100?

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Tim,
    If I were you, I would compare the thicknesses of the two products. That information should be available online. If the thicknesses are the same, I think there is nothing wrong with your idea -- except that it's a lot of work.

3. mfredericks | | #3

Tim, I recently purchased and used the smaller 6" x 50' roll and I'm fairly certain it's the same product. After working with both I think they're darn close if not exactly the same thing. I thought about doing what you propose and cut strips out of the wider roll - its a bit of work, but useful if you need different widths.

4. dankolbert | | #4

If you don't mind making a mess, you could also slice it perpendicular to the tube and have full rolls at various widths. A sawzall with a coarse blade would probably do the job. We've done that with house wrap but obviously there isn't the goo to deal with.

5. GBA Editor
    Patrick Mccombe | | #5

A power miter saw is the way to cut down a roll of housewrap. It might work for the Henry self-adhesive version too.

6. dankolbert | | #6

I dunno, Patrick - I've done it with house wrap but I think you'd get the adhesive all over the saw - would be a pain to clean. I guess if you could borrow a friend's saw...

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |