GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Hardwood floor installation concerns

user-5026070 | Posted in General Questions on

Hi, I hired pro installers to install Sound Sound Solution underlayment on plywood (2nd floor of an old farmhouse in Boulder, CO and put down reclaimed 2 21/4″ oak hardwood strips. At the end of the installation day, (it was only 300 sq st, a long rectangular condo as 1/3 of the 2nd floor) I come to find out that the installer used Sound Solution’s VAPOR BLOC (which I hadn’t ordered or wanted), the installer used tubes of titebond (which had not occured to me that such a thing was going to be used), and also no expansion gap was left. So now I ask you for your opinion as to the impact of these 3 situations. Also, can you think of a tool and technique to allow an expansion gap to be cut after a floor is down and pressing against drywall? Thank you.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #1

Mary,
    I don't see any problem with the substitution of the underlayment. They appear very similar. What concerns you about it?

Where did they use the Tightbond? On the tongues of the boards, or to glue them to the underlayment?

You only need an expansion gap at the ends of the floor parallel to the direction the boards are laid. You can cut the ends of the planks with a Multi-tool or cut 3/4" off the bottom of the drywall with a utility knife.

2. user-5026070 | | #2

Thanks, Malcolm, for your fast and knowledgable response. My concern with the VAPOR BLOC was that it was too much and it would prevent breathability.
    I don't knw where they titebond was used. I'll find out tomorrow when the installer returns to sand. Your response helps to address my knowledge gaps.
    Thank you! Mary

3. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #3

Mary,
    I don't think there is any problem with the underlayment. It does puzzle me why they would use glue on the floor. Perhaps your installer can give some explanation for it and why they neglected to leave the expansion gap.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |