GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Line set hides on clapboard or shingle siding

fitchplate | Posted in General Questions on

I have to mount 18K BTU AC-only line sets at two locations on Certainteed/Vytec simulated polymer cedar split shake called Cedar Impressions or Rough Split Shakes.

http://www.certainteed.com/resources/CTS100.pdf

Due to the placement of the compressors, each requires horizontal and vertical runs but I have options as to which stage is vertical or horizontal. I can go up an inside or outside corner post to the then run horizontally to the line set penetration or I can go along a sill-level PVC trim mud board (lower frieze board) and then climb vertically up the shingles directly under hole.

Aesthetically the vertical run directly under the mini-split hole looks better but that means running the line hide up the irregular elevations of the shakes (bevelled faces like clapboard but even more complex with the uneven face planes and elevations of each course).

Any suggestions on how to run these hides so they fit in with the siding profile? I don’t much like seeing air behind a wall mounted post. I have a box of black PVC 1 X 8″ trim boards in my shed.

And would it be better to paint the line covers the same color as the shakes or create contrast by making them the same as the trim (dark grey shakes, black trim).

Any recommendations on line hide brand? They are so expensive, I want to make sure I select the one the stands up best to UV and assembles the tightest.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. AndrisSkulte | | #1

It's a bit of work, but we ran our 1st floor line sets through the sill plate into the basement, then fished them up through the insulated wall cavity. For the 2nd floor units, we used the Pioneer line hide sets from Amazon, but replaced the screws with stainless. It's not a premium product, but looks well enough. We've got cedar shakes on our Cape-style house. With the vertical runs in the middle of the wall, you don't see daylight behind it.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |