GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Squishing batt insulation

cwoodford | Posted in General Questions on

I am renovating a house more than 100 years old. The exterior walls are not insulated but I do have full access to the cavity.

I was going to insulate with regular batt insulation but the stud cavity is actually 4″, (not 3-1/2″ like it would be for a newer home with modern lumber).

The batt insulation at any local store I have checked out only really sells exterior wall insulation in either 3-1/2″ or 5 1/2″ thicknesses.

My question is this: Is it better to install the 3-1/2″ insulation knowing that the wall won’t be completely filled with the insulation, or is it better to stuff the 5-1/2″ insulation into the cavity knowing the insulation may be squished and lose some of its R-value?

Thanks!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #1

It's absolutely better to make it a compression fit. An R19 batt is really an R13 batt stretched out to ~6", and only performance at R18 in a 5.5" deep cavity. Squishing it to 4.0" it would run ~R14-R15.

Better yet, an R21 batt compressed to 4" would deliver ~R16-R17 due to the higher density. See:

https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/sites/default/files/Compressing%20fiberglass.jpg

Do the arithmetic: Compressing it to a higher density lowers the total R but gives it a much higher R/inch.

But depth is not the only problem- it has to go full-width as well without buckling or forming voids.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |