GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

If you install a dedicated recirculation line, can you have it run on demand? Or does it have to run continuously?

wlarsen | Posted in General Questions on

Hi,

I’m trying to figure out the benefits/drawbacks of installing a Dedicated Recirculation Line versus an Demand- Initiated Recirculating System. I’ve already read Martin Holladay’s great article in Fine Home Building.

Clearly, the demand-initiated systems are better suited for retrofits since they use the existing cold water line (at least the D’mand one I’m familiar with). And the Dedicated Recirculation Line is better for new construction due to the cost of installing additional plumbing back to the water heater.

But if you choose the Dedicated Recirculation Line, what are your options for circulation? Does it have a continuously-run pump, which seems very wasteful? Or can it also have a demand-initiated option?

Thanks for your help!
Whitney

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Whitney,
    Q. "But if you choose the Dedicated Recirculation Line, what are your options for circulation? Does it have a continuously-run pump, which seems very wasteful? Or can it also have a demand-initiated option?"

A. You can install a demand-initiated pump and connect it to a dedicated recirculation line if you want.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |