GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Dryvit application

quicky | Posted in General Questions on

Hello All,

Towards the tail end of our house build and still not sure what we want to do with the canopy. Original plan was to Limestone it but the budget doesn’t allow it any more.

I am now thinking of Dryvit it with Limestone finish where they cut the V-groove and all that into it. I am being told there’s a special product which is twice as expensive as the regular one which will give it the limestone smooth finish.

I am waiting to hear from the sales guy of the product from Nexgen store but wanted to pick your all’s brain (is this expression right, LOL) to see what you guys suggest

Also the inside of the canopy, how could that be finished? I definitely want something smooth and looks nice and is maintenance free, to some extent.

Don’t want to brick it as the color of the brick looks darker (no sun on the front of the house) so need to lighten it up a little bit, hence the limestone finish.

Dyvit estimate is bit higher than expected so I am trying not to go that route, if I don’t have to.

Thanks

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Yasir,
    I'm glad that you aren't installing limestone. Adding stone (or imitation stone) to the exterior of a wood-framed house is extraordinarily risky. Many such walls have developed water-entry problems and rot.

EIFS (like Dryvit) works well, as long as the installer understands water-management and flashing details and provides a guarantee. However, in some areas of the country, there have been so many EIFS failures that homes with EIFS may have higher insurance costs and may be hard to re-sell.

2. BillC1963 | | #2

Hello Yasir,

I am a local Dryvit rep in the Chicagoland market and would be happy to meet with you and go over options/recommend contractors for bidding. If this is outside of Chicago, I can put you in touch with the right people. You can contact me at [email protected].

Bill

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |