GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Looking for advice and potential solutions

AlanB4 | Posted in General Questions on

http://s30.postimg.org/cri8pj975/image.jpg
http://s10.postimg.org/bnt2gn5a1/image.jpg

I’ve posted some pics of the north side of my house, the house (and grade) slants to the left side so that corner gets almost 100% of water from this half of the roof. Right now its just spilling onto the driveway, but in winter the driveway becomes a skating rink. There is a fence (not visible in first picture but visible in the second) so last winter i hooked up a flex pipe to get the water onto the lawn, the water caused it to bow in the middle and froze solid, so that was a failed temporary solution.
This year I am thinking of using 1 1/2 inch drain pipe as shown in the second pic, feed the downspout into something like this
https://www.lowes.ca/abs-dwv-pipe-fittings/canplas-1030-abs-coupling-fitting_g1335057.html
and with a few 90s have it go into a 10ft long pipe placed as shown in pic number two then come out onto the lawn (a few feet beyond pic two the grade is lower then the step). I would have to dig the grade on the left side of pic two and of course make sure the pipe is tilted slightly lower on the exit.

Would this work, and do i need a thicker pipe?
In future i would like to remove that step completely, so i could encase the ABS in concrete, can it survive a few decades buried?

Other solutions are also very welcome.
TIA

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Alan,
    I've performed a lot of drainage projects over the years, using plastic catch basins like the one in the photo below.

Here's what I've learned:

1. Most of my past projects used 4-inch pipe, but more and more, I see the advantages of 6-inch pipe. Your plan to use 1 1/2 inch pipe won't work. The large catch basin I installed near my garage, using 6-inch pipe, has been working flawlessly.

2. These catch basins only keep working if they are cleaned on an annual basis.

3. All buried drain pipe needs a positive slope for all of its length, of course, and should terminate at daylight.

2. AlanB4 | | #2

Thanks so much for your insight:

1. I will definitely abandon the 1 1/2 inch
    2. How do i clean it, it will be a 12ft run (maybe i can do with 8-10ft to get to daylight), do i need a large snake or something?
    3. I figured the long piece needed positive slope but along the entire length makes a lot of sense now that you mention it, i will look at some 45s or 22.5s.

In future can i encase ABS in concrete (i plan on removing that step and going from driveway to full height of slab) or do i need a different type of pipe?

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Alan,
    You clean out a catch basin by removing the grate and reaching in with your fingers to pull out the leaves, silt, and twigs at the bottom of the catch basin. Remove the debris to a location far from the catch basin and dispose of the debris.

It usually isn't necessary to clean out to pipe, but if you do, start with a garden hose. Insert the hose into the pipe through the open catch basin.

If that doesn't work, it's time to get a plumber's snake.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |