GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

This question is in reference to my attic fan

Jerseygirl66 | Posted in General Questions on

I have turned my attic fan on several times and now discovered that my fake suede furniture in the den seems to be holding moisture! It is very wet to the touch – like the attic fan pulled the moisture out and everything is now damp – I have no idea what to do!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Marilyn,
    I don't know what type of attic fan you have. Is it a powered attic ventilator or a whole-house fan?

If you aren't sure of the difference between these two types of fans, then I suggest that you read this article: Fans in the Attic: Do They Help or Do They Hurt?

It would also be helpful to know:

1. Why you are operating this fan? What do you expect the fan to do?

2. Where do you live? Is it hot or cold right now where you live?

3. When you notice this moisture problem, what are the outdoor weather conditions?

2. Jerseygirl66 | | #2

it is a whole house attic fan (I read the article thank you) live outside ATL and although I am not going to turn on again because of this usually turn on at night and sometimes early int he AM - not sure about questions number 3 - but I would never turn the attic fan on if it were raining outside - just noticed it when people came over and sat on a couch we don;t sit on!

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Marilyn,
    I assume that you turn on the fan at night, after a hot day -- when you are trying to cool down your house.

It sounds as if your house has high indoor humidity levels. In many cases, a whole-house fan can make such conditions worse.

If your house has high indoor humidity -- you can check by purchasing a hygrometer -- the best way to resolve that problem (especially during hot weather) is to close all your windows and operate a dehumidifier or an air conditioner.

4. Jerseygirl66 | | #4

great thank you for your help! Now I need to figure out how to clean the fake suede ! of course the furniture place I purchased form went out of business I think I can use water and cloth - of course then it has to dry and it has not done that on its own for two weeks!

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |