GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Rain leaks on sunporch

JonathanBeers | Posted in General Questions on

Water sometimes runs down the side jambs on two of our three west-facing sunporch storm windows. Lately it seems to be happening with every rain instead of infrequently. The gutters are clear and are draining properly. The water comes in around where the venetian blinds attach (see second photo).

During the summer, I tried spraying the windows with a garden hose, but no water leaked in. Maybe I didn’t spray long enough?

I’m thinking of running a bead of caulk above the drip cap on the vinyl siding (third photo). Any downside to that? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Jonathan

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Jonathan,
    Since the window head is so close to the soffit, it's hard to imagine that the vinyl siding drip cap has anything to to with this leak. I'm guessing that this is a roof leak, not a window flashing problem. Time for more diagnostic spraying. Next time, spray the roof.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |