GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Roxul in the attic-vapor barrier?

mike7811 | Posted in General Questions on

I’m thinking of replacing the old fiberglass insulation in my attic. I’d like to use roxul but was wondering about the vapor barrier. Can I simply remove the old insulation and lay the vapor barrier over the ceiling joist and friction fit the roxul over the plastic? What thickness vapor barrier should I use? I live in zone 6A.

Thanks!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Mike,
    Building codes do not require, and building scientists do not recommend, a vapor barrier in this location. All you need is a vapor retarder -- and a few coats of ordinary latex paint is usually enough.

In all cases, your ceiling needs to be as airtight as possible. In other words, an air barrier is more important here than a vapor barrier.

For more information on this topic, see:

Vapor Retarders and Vapor Barriers

Forget Vapor Diffusion — Stop the Air Leaks!

Do I Need a Vapor Retarder?

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |